1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movement in Springfield, MO

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From The Pipeline:

Two writers are leaving the Springfield (Mo.) News-Leader. Baseball writer Matt Baker has taken a job covering high school sports for Tulsa. Prep writer Allen Vaughn is leaving the business. He will remain a freelancer.

The N-L is trying to replace the prep writer ASAP. Vaughn's last day is Aug. 28, the first day of high school football. Interested parties can contact sports editor Pam Clark at pclark@news-leader.com.

I don't know the status of the baseball position. We haven't opened it up to applications at this point, as far as I know.

We cover about 120 high schools, but focus a core group of about 30 city and immediate area schools. The editor is big on looking for larger enterprise pieces instead of mundane day-to-day things. It's a Gannett paper with a circulation of about 47,000 daily and 70,000 Sunday (last numbers I heard - I haven't checked the ABC in a while).

The last two hires have been relatively young, and they're looking for 2-3 years experience to fill the preps beat.

And in unrelated pipeline news, the newsroom lost two people in the latest Gannett whackings. One feature writer and the only videographer were let go, and their positions were eliminated.

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Good place to be a prep writer. Lots of good stories, lots of passionate fans.

3. Simon

Simon Active Member

Allen is a great guy and a talented young guy. I wish him the best.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Springfield's a cool city too.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It's got a monorail.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And a burlesque house.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

But it's no Shelbyville.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I had a movement there once, as I recall, overcoming my usual home-bowl syndrome.

9. checkswinger

checkswinger Member

Any idea what this position pays? Let me guess – negotiable. ::)

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Uh yeah. Most jobs are. ::)

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Crap-and-a-half

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Only for overtime.
    That was too easy.

In all seriousness, Springfield's a decent city and the sports there are good, if only because it's a large epicenter for a fairly bland part of the state. If you're covering high schools there, there's a good chance you'll be making your way to Columbia (smaller area, actually) for state tournaments and such.
    Everything I've heard tells me the paper is run fairly well, which in this day and age is nothing to scoff at.

Draft saved Draft deleted