1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moved here or there?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BertoltBrecht, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Here is an All Things Considered construction. It gives the impression that you're in the heart of the storm, the middle of the action. It's a parlor trick used to convey an intimacy with the text, invasiveness instead of detachment. For features and analysis, I have no beef with it. When it's in a high school football gamer, I have a steakhouse's worth of beef with it, because it adds nothing but either an unnecessary modifier or a pretentiousness that doesn't befit the occasion.

2. captzulu

captzulu Member

I hate "here". Just say where here is. It only takes a couple more words. By writing "here", you're forcing people to have to refer back to the dateline to figure out where "here" is, especially if it's some place they don't commonly read about. When I was editing sports copy, I replaced "here" wherever I saw it.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

Used correctly, I think "here" can reflect some intimacy and immediacy.

It has no business in anybody's gamer.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

do you also like the word "that"?

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

no.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that is as immediate as here. here is for retards.

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I don't really understand what you're getting at.

"Here" can show some intimacy. If I hear that a bomb went off "here," subtly I'm transported to the thick of the action. "That" is an extra word in a sentence (that) you don't need. "That" adds nothing. "Here" can, if used properly, add something.

I can't believe I'm so vehemently defending a word (that) I never use. But there (here) you go.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

my point is, here is as much as a throwaway word as that. here is 1970s crap, pure and unbridled crap.

Draft saved Draft deleted