1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moved here or there?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BertoltBrecht, Aug 31, 2007.

1. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

I only ask because I see some writers put "here" in their gamers, such as:

The Shittown Nuggets beat the Podunk Express, 43-19, here Monday.

I have no idea why they do it and I don't like it, but in a related question.

Example, I'm working at the Plain-Dealer and I write a sentence that says:
    Joe Schmoe liked the pizza in Ohio so much, he moved here.

Is it here or there? If the 'here' is here.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I'd assume if you were writing for the PD, you could say he moved "here". But I really can't say I know for sure.
    More to the point, if see: "The Shittown Nuggets beat the Podunk Express, 43-19, here Monday." I die a little inside. Why would you ever say 'here'? It doesn't really explain anything. At all. We already assume you're at the place where the game was played. Say "at Shittown Memorial Stadium" or something.

Edit: Shittown Memorial Stadium has great cheese fries.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i guess some folks love to emphasize the dateline.

stupid? yes.

4. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

But we have to tell people we were there!

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i was here, bert. ;)

6. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

It's too bad datelines aren't uncontrollable.
    There's this SE I know near me whose datelines would all read: ON MY ASS IN FRONT OF MY DESK —

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that's kinda funny, but i know four sports writers near me who's datelines would read: TOO LAZY TO JERK OFF.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Code:
    By Jayson Blair
    Times Staff Writer
    Code:
    [b]ON MY ASS IN FRONT OF MY DESK -- [/b] 

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

You see "here" a lot in the first graf of stories in which you don't want to repeat the dateline city right away:

KIRKUK, Iraq -- A pipe bomb went off in a city market Thursday in Kirkuk, Iraq ...

is kind of clunky.

KIRKUK, Iraq -- A pipe bomb went off in a city market here Thursday ...

sounds much better.

However, why anyone would use that construction in a game story is beyond me ... especially when you probably need to get the name of the stadium in, anyway.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

"Here" is where I'm reading the story... ain't no football games being played "here," ain't no car bombs going off "here."
    Totally useless word.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

This sounds better still:

KIRKUK, Iraq -- A pipe bomb went off in a city market Thursday ...

We already know where. You told us: Kirkuk, Iraq. Or did you type the dateline for no reason?

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I don't know. I still think you need a more specific "where" than the city market. I know it says right there in the dateline, but still. You never see the where left out in a sentence like that. AP, for instance, almost always uses "here" or "in the heart of this southern Iraqi province" or some other variation.

It just doesn't sound right otherwise.

Personally, I almost never have a reason to use such a construction. But I can see why it's done, on occasion. Especially in news writing.

Draft saved Draft deleted