1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Move over U.S. News & World Report

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 22, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The feds want to get into the college ranking business:

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Our dean, in our pre-semester college-wide faculty meeting yesterday, mentioned that she wants to hire a person for her staff to handle what she called "rankings management." The person, it was explained, would monitor how we stack up across the myriad rankings and offer up suggestions about how we could improve. I said even then I could see that position morphing into a very intrusive administrative empire. Who know I could be so prescient?

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And if you mention extortion again, I'll have your legs broken.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Will margin of victory finally be taken into account?

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well, no. People would run up the score then and that's just not nice.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Who will be the Ken Pomeroy of these rankings?

7. "Unless you go to a T12, you'll end up working a minimum wage job," according to posts on College Confidential and The Grad Cafe.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

No Frat Bro Left Behind.

[​IMG]

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The Feds can only rank elementary, middle and high schools. Not colleges. Because that would be government interference.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My wife's elementary school was named a federal "Blue Ribbon" school two or three years ago. They continue to mention it in every scrap of paper they send out. I told her it's getting embarrassing, like the White Sox "2005 World Series Champions" billboard still facing the Dan Ryan eight years later.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That drives me crazy!

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I don't give a rat's ass about the "interference" ... but this not being my first rodeo, I can tell you what is going to happen. We are going to wind up paying some roomful of administrators shitpiles of money so they can make sure that we maintain our vise-like grip on the federal/state tit. So, ultimately, to ensure that college remains "affordable" and "a good value," we're going to make it more expensive without remotely affecting anything of substance.

Draft saved Draft deleted