1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Move over Roger Bannister, Muhammad Ali and Arthur Ashe, Dwyane Wade in da house

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Jones

Jones Active Member

Re: Move over Roger Bannister, Mohammad Ali and Arthur Ashe, Dwyane Wade in da house

Will Wade's year be remembered in a decade or two among the all-time greats? Probably not.

Will Federer's? Probably.

2. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Re: Move over Roger Bannister, Mohammad Ali and Arthur Ashe, Dwyane Wade in da h

Think it's funny that everyone is killing Wade, yet nobody has offered up any names besides Federer (75% of sports fans couldn't ID him) and Pujols (laughable).

Jones - loved your hospital photo in the latest Esquire. But Wade's Finals performance may just be the finest since Jordan's last hurrah. IMO, at least. Federer - didn't he win 3 grand slam events in 2004, too?

Just give him the title when he sets the all-time record.

I'll stand by the Wade choice until i hear one better.

Still haven't heard the criteria, either ...

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Re: Move over Roger Bannister, Mohammad Ali and Arthur Ashe, Dwyane Wade in da house

I really thought they were going to go with the two steroids reporters.

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Not boring and uninspiring when he plays, of course.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Meaningless award.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Federer.

And A-F, it seems the criteria is whatever the SI editors etc. feel like doing.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agree completely... I love Wade, but Sportsman of the Year? Give me a fucking break... It should have been a no-brainer to give it to Federer...

This selection is about selling magazines, nothing else... Wade will be a top seller. Federer would not...

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

'dexter great minds think alike. That was a class act by Wade to turn the keys of his brand new Navigator over to that volunteer coach.

I might have gone with Stephon Marbury for putting those $4.50 sneakers on the market but that's just me.

I think the choice is all about marketing and less about substance. I noticed that Bob Costas will be interviewing the Sportman of the Year on a special. Lets take a wild guess and say that Ford will be a sponsor.

If SI really wanted to do something impactful they could have gone with Pat Tillman - posthumously - He has been dead 2 years and there still is not a much more compelling story in sports world.

Lets face it - the NBA has become irrelevant.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yeah, nothing like a guy who's been dead for 2 years as sportsman of the year.

10. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

Guys from PTI mentioned the N.O. Saints-- specifically Drew Brees and Reggie Bush for efforts made in rebuilding the city.

Interesting.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I would have liked to see SI name co sportman of the year :

Mark Fainaru-Wada and Lance Williams

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Re: Move over Roger Bannister, Mohammad Ali and Arthur Ashe, Dwyane Wade in da h

I think a red, white and blue cover with the U.S. Ryder Cup and basketball teams would have been great.

Draft saved Draft deleted