1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Move over Roger Bannister, Muhammad Ali and Arthur Ashe, Dwyane Wade in da house

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Re: Move over Roger Bannister, Mohammad Ali and Arthur Ashe, Dwyane Wade in da house

A boring, uninspiring choice.

2. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Re: Move over Roger Bannister, Mohammad Ali and Arthur Ashe, Dwyane Wade in da h

Can someone set forth the criteria for selecting this award?

Sportsman of the Year is an extremely general topic.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Re: Move over Roger Bannister, Mohammad Ali and Arthur Ashe, Dwyane Wade in da house

The performance was transcendent.

Even Jordan never got the Bulls out of that big of a jam.

If not Wade this year, than no NBA player ever... which wouldn't break my heart, I guess.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He's not the best player in the league. He wasn't the MVP. He had a great Finals, but you couldn't breathe on him with out a foul called.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Shoulda been Federer. Wade will sell more copies, but Federer transcends his sport. Not many athletes do.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Wade gave a bunch of basketballs to kids, then tossed the keys to a brand new SUV to a basketball coach, and rode off down 4th street toward East LA in a bicycle. I didn't see anyone else do that.

7. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Actually, that's the problem with picking Federer -- he doesn't transcend his sport. Hardly anybody outside the tennis world knows who he is. That may not be his fault, but you can't say that the guy has had a monumental impact on the sports world. I wouldn't argue if they gave him Sportsman of the Year, but I don't think he's a slam-dunk, either. In a year where there wasn't a obvious, inspiring choice, Wade's as worthy as anyone else.

8. Jones

Jones Active Member

I was talking about the spelling in the thread title, but "yeah, sure."

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Re: Move over Roger Bannister, Mohammad Ali and Arthur Ashe, Dwyane Wade in da h

Yeah, they could have given it to Kenesaw Floyd Landis.

:D :D :D :D

10. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Double bingo.

Nobody put together a year that resembles Federer's.

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Really?
    And you would have picked?

12. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

DWade was great but when you really look at it, he didn't carry that team ALL by himself. The reason why the Heat won was because of D.Wade AND Shaq. You can't tell me that the Heat could've won without Shaq. They look terrible without him right now.
    My vote goes to Roger Federer. When you rank tennis players, it's always:
    1. Federer
    2. Everyone else
    You could say the same for Tiger as well. But you can't for Wade.

Draft saved Draft deleted