1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Move along; nothing to see here

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Colton, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There you go again Dog, participating in class warfare.

2. slotman1

slotman1 New Member

unfortunately, the other side is winning.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Hey, my car got broken into outside our building one night while I was at work. I made a cursory inquiry to HR about any sort of coverage and --- to no surprise at all --- was told they don't cover anything like that. I really didn't expect them to. Nor would I expect them to cover anything if I was driving to a work-related assignment.

I really don't know how it would work if I were driving a company car.

4. Colton

Colton Active Member

In my tenure at my shop, my car has been broken into three times.

The most I've ever received in compensation? An, "I'm sorry about your car," from my boss. Once.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I suspect most workplaces are like that. If you for Big Law Firm and park in a downtown garage, do they cover losses or damages? I have never heard of such.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You could use that as precedent if your shop tried to fire you for your driving record. Either your car and your record are their concern, or it's not.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

The downtown garage is a separate business, is it not?

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

Am I being paranoid for waking up every day, almost too afraid to look at my cell messages or email for fear of getting word still more cuts have been made, or I am being let go or my shop has padlocks on its doors?

For some reason, try as I might, I find myself unable to shake this sense of foreboding.

9. slotman1

slotman1 New Member

Your paranoia is probably quite well-founded, given the brutal way the Alabama overlords dropped the 20 day-after-election layoffs at the North of Boston properties. Nobody outside the executive suite got any warning, and people who busted their asses on election night were rewarded with a "Thanks, don't bother coming back." I'd expect nothing less from the cynical bastards when they get around to your shop

Probably won't be all that long; I'm not hearing the industry revenue picture is getting any better, and they've got first-quarter numbers to hit.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Honestly, mate, I've been there. I know what a horrible feeling it is that you are describing. It colors every part of your life and makes you feel miserable. Miserable to the point that when the other shoe finally does drop, you actually feel relieved.

Get out when you can, preferably on your own terms. I can't imagine these cockroaches paying the serfs enough to justify the constant misery and walking-on-eggshells feeling. I understand that people need to make a living and that other jobs suck, too. But good luck in finding something better.

11. Colton

Colton Active Member

Not much left to cut at my shop. About the only left to do would be to follow the lead of others and reduce the number of days we publish. I'm amazed our four-letter parent company hasn't gotten around to following that lead, yet.

12. Colton

Colton Active Member

Thanks, Mark. You've described the emotions I'm dealing with on an every-day basis better than I. Not much fun... if any.

Draft saved Draft deleted