1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Move along; nothing to see here

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Colton, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

Just got word last night, eff us days will, as per usual, continue through the first quarter of 2013 for those of us at CNHI shops.

Merry Christmas... here's our BONE-US!

2. Re: Nothing to see here... move along

My Chrstmas wish is for OPs to use accurate thread titles.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Re: Nothing to see here... move along

Don't worry, he'll change it to, "Move along; nothing to see here"

4. Colton

Colton Active Member

Dools: There ya go.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Every time I hear of more CNHI furloughs, I'm more and more thankful I didn't get the job I applied for a few years ago.

6. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

I heard they're not using the term "recession days" anymore but "salary reduction" for salaried people and telling them they have to make up the slack. Is that not illegal? Or, why can't they just say "cutting pay?"

And how are union shops dealing with this CNHI crap? I'm glad I made the career change a couple years back... I figured they would make this the norm. It's gutless they can't just come out and say it. Bet they have a skybox at Tuscaloosa, this strapped company.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Then it's up to the salaried people to fight back and refuse to do the extra work.

Put in your 40 and leave.

8. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

That's what I told my old buds, but it's a stupid response when it comes down to 40 hours or a press start. CNHI ought to be cited by upper managements everywhere for a genius manipulation of the workplace. Honestly I'm shocked more companies absent of integrity haven't adopted this practice.

9. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Salaried employees are still required to take 5 days off during the quarter, FWIW

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Then you tell your buds to blow the press start.

"Sorry, we would have made press start, but because of the furloughs, you gave us extra work to do, which took more time. Besides, it's not like you're actually paying us for this extra work, right?"

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I have thankfully not yet been touched by this furlough thing but can someone explain to me why a furlough is worse than a 5 percent salary reduction?

I mean, if you are asking me to choose - take 5 percent less and get some days off or take 5 percent less and work as many days - I know what I am choosing but again, I don't know all the intricacies about how these things differ or are the same.

12. Colton

Colton Active Member

Zag: For those of us poor saps on salary, you can probably guess exactly what happens. Especially if you are one of a two-person sports staff covering the largest county in your state at a daily.

It's beyond my powers to explain the feelings of basically being gelded.

Draft saved Draft deleted