1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mountain West Conference seeking automatic BCS bid

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, Jan 26, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

If they add Boise, the likelihood of a team going 12-0 in conference goes down dramatically. Utah or Boise will at least have one loss. The other team will have to run the table (beating the other one) and some other solid teams in the non-conference to get a nod. Even more unlikely. In fact, I say that wouldn't be a good idea at all. I don't want an 11-2 team ranked No.15 in the country going to a BCS game. Whether it be boise, utah or virginia tech.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Which, at the end of the day, is the REAL reason the MWC wants no part of Boise State.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would be in favor of no automatic bids. The top 10 teams in the final BCS standings go to the five bowls.

4. Mizzougrad96

I know this is going to sound crazy, but hear me out.

How about we take the top eight teams in the final BCS rankings and then seed them like the NCAA Tournament. I know this sounds nuts. The No. 8 seed would play the No. 1 seed and the No. 7 would play the No. 2 and the No. 6 would play the No. 3 and the No. 5 would play the No. 4.

I know this is insane, but then the winners of those games would play each other the next week and then the winners of those game would play each other for the national title.

I know it's way too insane to ever happen...

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Wow Mizzou you obviously have no idea how college football works. ;D

6. Mizzougrad96

I know... I'm talking crazy, but it was just the insane idea that came to me...

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

How has the Big Ten done lately? Not so hot. And the national championship over Miami was an absolute officiating-fiasco fraud.

I'm not seriously advocating removing the Big Ten. But adding the MWC would be a smart move in the long-term viability of the BCS and its champion would win its fair share of games.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Good luck getting conferences to sign off on a plan that might not include any of their teams. And I'm not talking about the Mountain West, I'm talking the Big East and ACC. No conference will ever sign off on a playoff plan unless it's guaranteed a spot somewhere.

9. Mizzougrad96

Since the BCS began, how many times has the MWC winner been legitimately BCS worthy? We can include Boise State in that, just for the sake of argument.

Obviously, in a year like this one, Utah was worthy.

But I worry that with an automatic bid, in some seasons we could be looking at a 8-4 MWC champ playing in a game it doesn't deserve to be in. Hell, the same can be said about the Big East recently. With the Big 10, Big 12, SEC, Pac-10 and ACC, we're pretty safe that the winner will be deserving.

10. Mizzougrad96

If the "playoff" was the conference champion from

SEC, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-10, MWC, Big East, ACC plus one at-large team, I would be fine with that. I'd rather ditch the MWC and Big East and have five conference champs and three at-large teams, but I'd be willing to be very flexible if the playoff was the result.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Are you saying that wasn't pass interference? Because I think that's foolish.

I think everyone on this board knows it was pass interference. Maybe the ref shouldn't have waited so long to call it. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a penalty.

Draft saved Draft deleted