1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mountain West Conference seeking automatic BCS bid

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, Jan 26, 2009.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

C-USA and MAC are frauds compared to the Big East. Ball State would have been lucky to be over .500 in the Big East this year. When your big win is Indiana, you need perspective.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Michigan's big win was Indiana... what's yer point?

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Then again, Michigan sucks. Doesn't make Ball State any better. I really hope you don't honestly think the conferences are remotely comparable.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No, but the Big East is BCS-Lite...

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

With the exception of the SEC and USC they've all been BCS-lite. How impressive did that fast, i mean damn fast, I mean USC ain't never seen a Fat 10 team this FAST, Penn State look with Sanchez picking 'em apart in the first half of the Rose Bowl?

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If this serves as a catalyst to a playoff, then by all means, I'm all for this. It always amazes me how we embrace the likes of Gonzaga, Davidson, George Mason and the MVC every March, but when it comes to college football, it's the complete opposite, people look for reasons to discount your Utahs, Ball States and Boise States.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The Gonzagas, George Masons and Davidsons get that little thing called the NCAA Tournament in which to strut their stuff.

The Boise States, Utahs and Ball States do not.

People treat college football and college basketball entirely differently, probably for reasons connected to their respective postseasons and others that will likely never be clarified.

But this is a great example of why I consider college basketball worthy of the attention and drama and why, until the fat cats consider alternatives, college football is a complete joke - at least in terms of how it determines its champion.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

In college football, Wyoming won at Tennessee. Utah beat the hell out of Alabama.

Bring 'em in, I say. Especially if they add Boise State.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Big Ten is 8-11 all time in BCS games with a National Championship.

Independents (ND) 0-3.
    ACC 2-9

You tell me where the MWC bid should come from.

*Five of the Big Ten's losses came against USC, who is 6-1 all-time in BCS games, the only loss being to Texas. So don't tell me that the Big Ten at 8-11 with half their losses to USC basically at USC makes them unworthy.

And before you bring up Ohio State's recent struggles, I'd like to mention they are 4-3 all time in BCS games. Second-most wins ever tied with Florida (4-1).

On the other hand, Florida State is 1-5 in BCS games, Oklahoma is 2-5.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

What year are we talking about? 1979? Michigan didn't play Indiana this year. But they beat Wisconsin and Minnesota when each team was ranked in the top 25.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Oz, you know damn well Utah could not compete with the likes of Alabama. I mean ...

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Buh... buh... buh... once Bammer couldn't play for a title, it stopped trying....

Draft saved Draft deleted