1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mountain Bump injures 9 in the Utah Mine Rescue

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportshack06, Aug 16, 2007.

1. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

I dont think this whole ordeal will end well for Mr. Murray

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This thing just keeps getting worse. Anybody know why they aren't just trying to clear the debris away from the original collapse instead of drilling an entirely new bore?

3. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

Salt Lake Tribune now reporting one dead in tonight's accident.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

They are doing both. The new collapse (or whatever it is) happened in the main mine tunnel where rescue workers are digging. The bore holes are only attempts to locate and/or provide food and water to the trapped miners.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

If the original group of miners is still alive, I can't even imagine what they must be going through.

Such a sad and scary story all around.

6. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

AP reporting two now dead

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

TV reporting a third fatality in the new collapse.

This is just a nightmare.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Shut the operation down.

The slim chance of finding the miners alive is not worth more death.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Let's say they are alive. Then what? How do they get them out without the whole thing falling in on them? If even possible, how long would that take? :(

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Oh, and here's some food for thought one might be interested in during the long stretches of relative inactivity.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/08/14/utah-mine-owner-troublin_n_60477.htmlUtah

Mine Owner: Troubling Safety Record, Useful Political Clout

In 2003, when safety inspectors ordered the owner of a Utah coal mine where six workers have been trapped for more than a week to shut down one of his Ohio operations because of repeated safety problems, local press reports say he did not hesitate to flex his political muscle to get the inspectors off his back.

West Virginia Public Radio reporter Jeff Young filed a story at the time that said Murray Energy Corp. CEO Bob Murray had a meeting in Morgantown, W. Va. with Tim Thompson, then a district manager for the federal Mine Safety and Health Administration.

Young obtained notes from the meeting which showed Murray threatening to have MSHA employees fired.

"I will have your jobs. They are gone. The clock is ticking," Young quotes Murray as saying at the meeting.

And so it goes...

11. When they find the dead miners it will give me further proof that prayer DOES NOT work.

12. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I have no sympathy for Bob Murray. None. The guy's a tool.

But I want those miners, alive or not, out of there. I don't know how it's going to be done, but I truly hope the next bore hole finds them and the digging proceeds -- safely.

Draft saved Draft deleted