1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mount Rapmore

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, May 2, 2008.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Similar to the Mount Rockmore, which rappers belong on a monument such as Mount Rushmore, and why?
    Only individuals, meaning it can't be Public Enemy, NWA, etc. Pick a favorite/most influential from a group if need be...For some bands, it's impossible to pick a best - so leave 'em off if you have to. Preferably stick to musicians, rather than writers/producers, so no Rick Rubin, Russell Simmons.

Mine, in no particular order:

1) Notorious BIG: Simply the greatest MC of all time. Brought hip-hop to another level along with Tupac. The best stylist, lyrically, with incredible pacing and technique.
    2) Tupac Shakur: Along with Biggie, responsible for rap's meteoric rise. Inspired a white kid from the suburbs to throw up the Westside sign to other white kids in the suburbs (crossover appeal). Besides rapping about money and women, a powerful voice for urban plight. Brenda's Gotta Baby is probably one of the best poems ever written, just happened to be cut over a great beat. Hit harder than any other rapper with diss songs.
    3) LL Cool J: Brought rap into living rooms across America. Might not be the greatest rapper, but bridged the gap between gangsta rap and the basic population. Mixed R&B with rap maybe better than anyone. Has been a force for almost 30 years.
    4) Jay Z: When not rapping about Dom P and ice, one of the greatest songwriters in the game. Took over for Biggie and Pac without stopping, and subsequently stayed true to the game despite huge declines in the industry in both style and quality. The Hova.

Tempted to put Eminem and Dre on somehow, but Dre was always better as a producer than a rapper. Snoop Dogg could be on, but he didn't have the longevity. Can't have Biggie without Pac and vice versa, so that takes 50 percent off the top.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Wow. You matched three of four with Bill Simmons' list. Well done.

3. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Thanks.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Your list sucks without Rob Van Winkle.

5. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Why Biggie and Dre?

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

How about a member of the Sugarhill Gang?

7. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

You and me, we got beef with this statement.

8. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I agree...

9. I agree on taking out the vastly over-rated Biggie.
    Unlike the other thread, where I saw three locks, I only see one here, and that's Tupac.
    Whoever gets credit for being the brains behind Run-DMC and the Sugar Hill Gang should probably also go on there.
    That leaves one spot for Jay Z., but I'm not sold on my picks at all.

10. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

As in my favorite Italian dish, Toeachizone

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Dr. Dre should be a no-brainer. One of the greatest rap albums of all-time, a fantastic follow-up, gave Snoop, Eminem, 50 Cent (even though I don't like him) and The Game their shots, the brains behind NWA, one of the best producers ever.

12. That's a hell of an argument.

Draft saved Draft deleted