1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Motivation

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KYSportsWriter, Jun 15, 2006.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

nevermind

2. Screenwriter14

Screenwriter14 New Member

Before they were famous hacks

I just happened to Google myself the other morning and saw that my name appeared on a list of "Unknowns" on the discussion thread of "Before they were famous hacks" or, better yet, "Whatever happened to all those poor bastards who worked for The National?" Had the reporter who compiled the Where-Are-They-Now list done a bit more research, he would have discovered this about one Tony Moton, the former Chicago White Sox beat writer at the National:

Screenwriter TONY MOTON, a former columnist at the Omaha World-Herald, the Las Vegas Mercury, and a 1998 graduate of University of Nebraska's MA program in journalism, won second place in the 2003 Samuel Goldwyn Writing Awards for his screenplay "All Bets Are On," the story of the relationship between a twelve-year-old Little League baseball player and his philandering grandfather, set during the summer of 1969 in Chicago. Previous Goldwyn winners include such outstanding film directors and writers as Allison Anders, Francis Ford Coppola, Pamela Gray, Colin Higgins, Eric Roth, and novelist Jonathan Kellerman. After working at The Omaha World-Herald as an entertainment and pop culture columnist from 1991-1999, Moton accepted a teaching fellowship at Drake University and the Des Moines Register. From 2000 to 2001 he worked as an investigative reporter at Pitch Weekly, an alternative newspaper in Kansas City, Mo, winning an award from the Kansas City Press Club. He went to the Las Vegas Mercury in January 2002, covering news, sports, and dance music, and earned top sports writing honors twice from the Nevada Press Association. He was accepted into UCLA’s MFA program in Screenwriting in September 2002 and graduated in the spring of 2004. Moton currently is represented by the Larchmont Literary Agency in Hollywood and has a number of writing projects in development, including "American Soul," about the life and death of singer Marvin Gaye.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

But does he have a BLOG?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Is this the existential thread or something?

5. Screenwriter14

Screenwriter14 New Member

No, Tony Moton (speaking in third person) does not have a blog.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I'm guessing Tony doesn't write comedies.

Draft saved Draft deleted