1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mothership lets a racial slur slip in a headline on its mobile browser

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by biggy0125, Feb 18, 2012.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

In your opinion....if a major espn personality had made the comment you're referring to, do you think he'd have been fired?

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Suspending him would be racist, too.

3. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Suspended, at least.
    I know at my shop, if any of us had tweeted that comment, we'd be without a job. And I have zero problem with that. The extra synapses that go from thinking something so offensive, to typing it, to sending it out into the ether ... well, I just can't get my mind around that.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Awesome.

Proper nomenclature, Dude, please.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Not sure what more ESPN could have done. They acted quickly and the apology and then discipline has been on the front page of my mobile browser.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

In a heartbeat. As mentioned above, there was zero wiggle room on this. Zero.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Mile High, that last post was referring to the Whitlock comment, not the chink remark. Are we talking about the same thing, re wiggle room?

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Sorry. Misread.

Whitlock should have been canned, if for nothing else, he has a pattern of shit like that and has become the ultimate cartoon character with whatever schtick he's passing off these days.

Major ESPN personality should be too if they did the same thing but at a minimum would get a suspension.

9. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Wiggle room?

Sorry, couldn't help it.

10. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Witlock basically should have been fired from every gig he has ever held.
    Think about it - he created big problems for himself and the organization he represents, at every stop.
    Amazing good employees get whacked everywhere and this asshelmet is unfireable.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Response from the fired and suspended:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/jeremy-lin-slur-honest-mistake-fired-espn-editor-anthony-federico-claims-article-1.1025566

Seems like Bretos had the bad luck and bad timing to inadvertently use 'chink' on the same day as the headline writer.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I believe him.

Draft saved Draft deleted