1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mothership lets a racial slur slip in a headline on its mobile browser

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by biggy0125, Feb 18, 2012.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I was the same way. I've also had a couple of instances working a slot where there was a photo of a black player and "boy" was in the headline. That got changed right away.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

About as much chance as me being on the floor for Lin's next assist.

3. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

ESPN hired the clown who wrote that, then they pin it all on one moron.
    An institutional stupidity has been going on there long before this incident.

4. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I'm not going to feel too sorry for that person. They're not making him/her the fall-guy for someone else's mistake.

I'll grant that, especially overnight, there probably isn't the best system of checks in place to make sure this kind of thing doesn't happen.

But, like I said, the person who wrote the headline was the one who got punished for it. I can't fault the network for that.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I can see how "Chick in the armor" can be construed as racist, when published in a headline that someone clearly gave some thought to (or at least should have).

But I'd give the anchor a pass...he was winging a question, and, when you think about it, "chink in the armor" is such a common phrase that it's easy to see how he could have said it.

Also, when not used on purpose, it's not like "chink in the armor" is inherently racist, as "chink" when used in this manner in no way refers to a person of Chinese heritage; according to the dictionary its meaning is "crevice" or "crack."

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

On Sportscenter, yes.

On ESPN News I can't say for sure, but I suspect not. Haven't watched it in a while, but I believe the anchors stay in the chair for a while. I suspect they're reading a lot of it cold.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But was the anchor's use during highlights? I was under the impression it was in the middle of an interview. That makes all the difference in the world.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

This. I'm not sure which is worse: accidentally or on purpose, but either is a job-ending mistake.

9. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

The good news is, the person who wrote that ESPN headline can still apply for a job at Fox, because apparently they don't have standards when it comes to dispensing racist and/or ignorant garbage.
    (Still trying to understand how Whitlock wasn't suspended.)

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There's no wiggle room on "chink"

I hate when people get fired, but it seems pretty deserved in this case.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Didn't the Rockets fire a play by play guy for calling Yao a Chinaman?

I can defend that. You can't defend Chink.

12. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Oh, I agree.
    I'm just wondering about the wiggle room that goes with writing about a player's genitals based on a racial stereotype. Never ever ever ever would most journalists get away with that.

Draft saved Draft deleted