1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mothership lets a racial slur slip in a headline on its mobile browser

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by biggy0125, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You know what real ignorance is? Using a cliche like "chink in the armor" as a headline for a story about an Asian-American basketball player.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Sorry, but no it isn't. Language pet peeve of mine: the co-opting of the word ignorant, a perfectly fine and valuable word, for racist. They mean different things.

5. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Absolutely, which is why we're not talking about the headline. We're talking about the cliche the ESPN News anchor used. If you'd like to eliminate the use of cliches in broadcasting, of boring cultural idioms spoken off the top of the top of the head, good luck filling 24 hours of programing. Because those cliches represent about 70 percent of the talking.

6. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

So, you're in favor of archaisms and cliches -- racist or otherwise?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Let me get this straight -- if the word "niggardly" was used more often, racism could be dispatched more quickly?

8. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

I'm saying cliches in broadcasting and regular speech are unavoidable. It's a freaking waste of time to play language police when it's obvious there was no intent here. If, in the course of a lengthy interview about whether or not Carmelo Anthony was going to be traded, the anchor said "So Ric Bucher, spin the beans, where is he going to end up?" would he be making racist allusions to the fact that Carmelo is half Puerto Rican? Of course not.

The anchor's wife is Asian, for pete's sake. It's about using common sense. Fire the guy who wrote the headline? I'm totally on board. Publicly shame someone for using a common idiom to make it look like you're taking serious action is just silly. An apology would have been enough.

Meanwhile, Jason Whitlock WENT OUT OF HIS WAY to make a Asians-have-small-dicks joke, and wasn't suspended by his employer. That's what you should be bitching about. Save the outrage for obvious -- not accidental -- ignorance please.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Precisely. If we weren't so niggardly about using niggardly, racism would end.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Thanks for kicking us off, Dr. Dreunc.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Looks like we're in a Mexican standoff.

12. Biscayne

Biscayne Guest

So it's a felony to write it in a headline, but only a misdemeanor to say it on TV? I don't get that. If it's bad one way, it's just as bad the other.

Agree with the point about Whitlock. Major offense for piling on at the further expense of Asians. Does he have something against minorities?

Draft saved Draft deleted