1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mothership lets a racial slur slip in a headline on its mobile browser

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by biggy0125, Feb 18, 2012.

1. biggy0125

biggy0125 Member

Apparently "Linsanity" preoccupies ESPN to the point that they don't give thought to headlines any more. After Lin and the Knicks lost last night in New Orleans, ESPN's mobile browser ran the following headline:

"Chink In The Armor"

Wow.

https://twitter.com/#!/michaelgbenner/status/170775247736406016/photo/1 <----- Screen Cap that I don't know how to hyperlink.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

It was bound to happen. Heads should roll.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The apology:

www.espnmediazone3.com/us/2012/02/18/statement-on-new-york-knicks-jeremy-lin-headline/

5. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I'm glad they apologized, but why isn't there a link on the espn.com front page? I guess it is the WWL.

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

haven't they done this before?

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Front page 'Corrections' tab.

espn.go.com/espn/corrections

8. The game was in New York.

9. blog415

blog415 Member

yes they did it before too when USA basketball was in china in 2008 for Olympics. The screen capture of that headline is here as well as the Lin screen capture AND the ePN anchor saying chink on air

http://dwizzlesworld.blogspot.com/2012/02/espns-racial-slur-on-jeremy-lin.html

10. 30

30 Member

inexcusible. Blatent racism.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

This is pretty bad, obviously.

But only one page? I guess I'll say it's a Saturday, but something this bad by the Mothership in the past has drawn a ton more responses. Hell, Bruce Feldman drew, what, double-digit pages? We're not even at double-digit replies here.

But, as Jim Healy would say about this situation, heads will roll.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Inexcusable. If this had happened at a competitor, ESPN would have pounded the hell out of them. I can already hear the opening bars to "Outside the Lines: Media racism and Jeremy Lin", Mike & Mike on their morning soapbox, Skip Bayless ranting (oh wait, that's just his regular tone), you name it.

Instead it's on the espn.com corrections page, which I didn't even know existed. Puhleeze.

(As an aside, I was impressed to see on that page that they corrected a point spread that turned a Hammerin' Hank tie into a loss. Bwahaha.)

Draft saved Draft deleted