1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mother Teresa 'a friend of poverty, not of the poor'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 20, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

She's about to be elevated to Sainthood by the Catholic Church, but not everyone believes the narrative:

Evidence - and her own words - show that Mother Teresa was not so much a "champion of the poor" but a religious fanatic who took pleasure in their suffering. Not only did she refuse to alleviate the pain of her patients but she gloried in it. As she herself said: "I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people."

Her famous 'Home for the Dying' in Calcutta was deliberately kept as barren, destitute and inadequate to the needs of her patients as possible. This, according to Teresa, was God's will. Even though the donations from wealthy patrons were enough to fund a number of world-class clinics, her patients languished in Dickensian poverty. In 1994, Robin Fox, of the medical journal Lancet, shocked many by saying that her "TB patients were not isolated and syringes were washed in lukewarm water before being used again. Even patients in unbearable pain were refused painkillers, not because the order did not have them but on principle". Fox was only one of many who have reported back about the true nature of Teresa's ministry, only to be ignored.

Yet Teresa's aim always was to promote a cult of suffering and subjugation of the poor. "You are suffering like Jesus on the cross", she once told a patient. "So Jesus must be kissing you." (The suffering patient screamed back: "Then tell your Jesus to stop kissing me.") Notably, Teresa did not feel she had to include herself in this "suffering for Jesus". Instead she eschewed her own clinic for the costliest care that California could offer when she needed it.

Mother Teresa 'a friend of poverty, not of the poor' - Independent.ie

RubberSoul1979 likes this.
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

When did Mother Teresa join the SEC?

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I've always thought her 40 times were bullshit.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Would have made a great Democrat candidate for president.

cyclingwriter2 and Vombatus like this.
  5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

This happened in a church where priests were allowed to molest children with impunity. I'm not surprised.

TigerVols likes this.
  6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Baron must be asleep.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Nah, she was against abortion and birth control. Sounds like a Republican to me.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Clearly she was enough of a monster she could have risen to prominence in either party.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

But she was good in the beginning ...

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

What a shame. She was great in "The Client," though.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Oof. Another joke that doesn't land.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

#SaintSplaining.

Draft saved Draft deleted