1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mother Nature is a whore

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Dec 14, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've got a small car, and I love driving in the snow. I learned to drive in the snow; the joy of a February birthday in New York. I do miss it a little bit, but that feeling passes.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Don't confuse driving in snow with driving on ice, like we have to do in the South more often. Ask the New Englanders what ice is like this week. It sucks.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Racist.

4. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Tell this to the 400,000+ in the Northeast without power since Thursday night.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The ice made it to DFW overnight. Roads are slicker than snot on a doorknob. The farther north you go, the worse it gets. The freeways are virtual parking lots.

Winter weather advisory until 4 p.m. today. It's a coin flip whether it even makes it above freezing. Hopefully, if it doesn't ice much more, the sand trucks can do some good.

6. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I think it's literally been raining ice chunks here since about midnight-1 a.m. I have a meeting with the women's basketball coach and a player in less than two hours and I'm seriously considering making bets that it ain't gonna happen. It's not a big deal for me, since I live all of half a mile from where I'm going, but if I don't have to get out in it, I'm not gonna. I can hang in my apartment, do two weeks' worth of dishes that I've been neglecting, transcribe my interview from yesterday and be warm.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

A whore? Who's she write for?

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Roads here weren't too bad when I was driving home last night.

Though I could have done without the asshat in the SUV passing everyone at 60 mph...

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

You didn't call her that last spring, when she was covering you with sweet warm kisses.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

You don't drive on ice, you slide and crash on ice. Snow is a breeze. Ice is a "get the fuck out of your car you idiot!" kind of thing.

11. KG

KG Active Member

Just don't bail mid-slide.

12. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Funny story.

I worked as a seasonal calendar salesperson with a guy who had to be 23 or 24 at the time and did the same thing.

One day, after a pretty bad storm, he comes into work in a huge cast and looks beat to shit. He's got a black eye and just looking at him made me sore. I felt so bad for him.

Then I asked him what happened.

His answer?

"I was doing 80 (MPH) on Rt. 6 [the speed limit's 50 in good weather] and took my eyes off the road for a split second. Next thing I know my car hit a patch of ice and flipped over. It got totalled"

I asked him how he was doing. He said he was feeling better.

Once I knew it wasn't life threatening or anything, I calmly told him in my best inside-voice: "You're a fucking moron and you deserved it."

He agreed.

The morale of the story? Ice kills and you're not special.

Draft saved Draft deleted