1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mother Nature at it again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smash Williams, May 22, 2011.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2011/05/23/exp.am.joplin.convenience.tornado.cnn?hpt=T1

Just because there's two thread going on this....wow. Can one imagine.

2. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

And another severe thunderstorm warning for Joplin until 5:15 CT. Enough, already.

3. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

There are going to be many stories from this. Unbelievable. Death toll now 116.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/05/23/2895291/missouri-officials-say-tornado.html

4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the "glad you're OK posts." I think it is finally hitting me what I went through. I may not have been in the tornado but I was dangerously close. I'm not from the four-state area originally. My family is in western Kansas, so I didn't have to worry about where my mom or sister was. Most of the people in the store were trying to find loved ones: parents, relatives, husbands and wives, kids, etc. It's probably the only reason I was any kind of composed during the whole thing. If I had loved ones I was trying to find, I'd have probably been just as mushed up as the one girl I wrote about.

5. joe

joe Active Member

Does anybody know whether Hogs and Hot Rods bar and grill, which is on the real Route 66 right before you get to Galena, Kan., made it through the storm? I stopped in there a couple months ago when I wrote a story for Missouri Life magazine (June/July edition) about driving Route 66 across Missouri. Fine patrons to talk to, and bartender Michelle McDonald was friendly and helpful as I finished up my east to west drive.

Joe

6. Hate-Miser2

Hate-Miser2 Member

Looking at the 10-day forecast on TWC, Joplin has rain in the forecast, with some strong storms and high wind mixed in, for 8 out of the next 10 days.

The tornado may be gone, but flooding may not be far behind ...

7. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Apparently two rescue workers were struck by lightning today. No word on their condition.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Did Webb City come out of this ok?

9. apeman33

The worst of the storm missed it completely for what I've gathered. Everyone got hit with something (straight-line winds, hail, lightning) but the worst was basically between 15th and 26th streets in Joplin.

I've heard Carl Junction may have gotten some straight-line wind damage but I haven't been home in a while to see the news.

10. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

I've got some friends in Carl Junction that seem to have come through it okay, but I wouldn't doubt there were straight line winds out there. There were nasty straight line winds out in Springfield as well (which is where some of the hospital debris ended up), and St. Louis got smacked with straight-line wind damage from the same storm system.

Apparently they think another storm system is going to form over the Southwest again tomorrow and move through Oklahoma, Kansas and SW Missouri.

11. apeman33

Confirmed by KOAM moments ago that a police officer was struck by lightning while directing traffic at 32nd and Main, one of the busier intersections after 7th and Rangeline and 32nd and Range Line.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I heard a radio report that a woman who lost her home to Katrina relocated to Joplin.

Yep, you can guess what happened to her home there.

Draft saved Draft deleted