1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mother f***in' awesome news

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

How are you going to be a PC and cover Bama for the Bham News?

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

good stuff
    congratulations

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Don't. The Woot monkeys will take them.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Very good news, TBF. Well ... short of the conflict ending altogether ...

Stay safe and keep us updated. Take care ...

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Congratulations.

6. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Awesome news, dude. Now update the "what's for dinner" thread with your celebratory dinner components so I can continue to live vicariously through you.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

CONGRATS, BROTHER!!! :D ;) ;D

and possibly most of all, THANK YOU! :)

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

As I learned from when I got promoted at my job after not even nine months there, you're ready when you're ready.

Congratulations! Must feel great to have the confidence from your peers!

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I salute you, sir. Truly.

The always-questioning journalist in me has, well, a question, though.

Does the Army particularly need PC's right now? Could it be looking to promote early -- you said you were a bit surprised by not only your selection, but others', as well -- because of some particular shortage or for some other reason?

I don't mean to suggest anything by this. It's just a question that came to mind, about possible operating procedures, given what you posted, and it's something I'm wondering about. Would it ever happen?

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate your support. I really, really do. Talking with you guys while in Afghanistan really was a relief and a way to let off a little steam.

Write, that's a legitimate question. Becoming a pilot-in-command, or PC, has nothing to do with my rank, or my rate of promotion, etc. It is simply a statement of one's proficiency; that a person is ready to assume all the responsibility that comes with handling the aircraft and the mission. Four of us were really surprised, because we didn't think we were ready. People are usually selected at an hour level we haven't reached yet.

There's no number of PCs the Army is required to maintain. In my unit's case, we're anticipating the loss of a lot of experience, so it's time to start training guys to replace them.

That answer your question? I hope I wasn't too vague.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

t_b_f.

Yes, that answers my question, perfectly. And thanks for not taking offense or being insulted.

Your explanation actually makes your anticipated evaluation and possible promotion even more awesome, and makes your excitement really understandable, if it is something that is strictly experience- and merit-based -- as we'd all like to think and hope that everything would be in journalism, but isn't. I salute the Army for that.

Now, I can fully compliment you. It sounds and seems like you being in the unit that you are actually may have helped put you in line for some possible fast-tracking. The fact that four people who weren't expecting to be selected just yet have been speaks especially well of your unit, and perhaps contributed to it being the most-active one. You, apparently, were chosen to be a member of a unique, special unit...and, you apparently have helped continue to build on that -- perhaps just as the Army expected when it assigned you to the unit.

As I said earlier, I salute you.

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Fantastic news that the deployments will be shortened and thanks for answering the call with so many other servicemembers. That's heartfelt praise, believe me.
    But I was somewhat disturbed to find out my Army-alum brother is headed in August to a year's deployment in Kuwait and his son, my nephew, is headed in August with the Mississippi Air Guard for a second tour in Afghanistan.
    Why do we talk of drawdowns/handing the countries back to the people/pulling out/ending our time there/finishing up but still insist on sending more people over there?

Draft saved Draft deleted