1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mother f***in' awesome news

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Jul 16, 2011.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Well, I have two bits of the most awesome news I could possibly pass on, save having another kid or winning the lotto.

The Army is about to announce that it is shortening deployments from 12 to nine months, which means my fourth and next deployment (scheduled for September 2012) will be 25 percent shorter than the last one. There are two very small downsides to this news, however. There will be no two-week R&R in the middle, and the deployment -- because of all the units shifting to 9-month deployments -- will occur a month earlier. Although the official word won't come until next month, my brigade -- the most deployed brigade in the Army since 2001 -- is already planning for the nine-month tour.

The second bit of news is long-term, career-oriented news, rather than short-term news like the shorter deployment.

I'll give you the back story first.

There are two kinds of pilots, Joe Co-Pilot and the pilot-in-command. Joe Co-Pilot is the new guy. The guy who does what he's told, when he's told to do it. That's me. The FNG -- Fucking New Guy. The pilot-in-command, or PC, is responsible for everything that happens in or to the aircraft. Co-pilot crashes ... PC's fault. Get lost ... PC's fault. Fly over the White House ... well, you get the picture.

A couple of times a year, the company's pilots-in-command get together and discuss every co-pilot in the unit. It's called a "PC board." Strengths, weaknesses, work ethic, personality, etc. Then, they vote on each and every one. Those who get a "yes" vote, then become the focus of the training until they're ready for an evaluation.

Well, I got "boarded," or selected to become a pilot-in-command. All I have to do now, is study my ass off and pass the toughest evaluation I've had to date.

I'm still a tad bit "young" to be selected, and I'm a little shocked it happened so soon. Typically, aviators in my type of business are selected for PC at about 500 total hours and 100 hours under night vision goggles. I have about 420 total and 90 NVG hours. By the time I get my evaluation I'll be a little closer, but I'll still make it early, which is good. Honestly, I was blind-sided by my selection -- and that of a couple of peers -- during this board. We were expecting to be selected on the next selection board, not this one. When I was told of my selection, I honestly felt sick to my stomach.

What does this mean, you ask? Not a hill of beans to any of you guys, I guess. But, for me, this is my big break. The Birmingham News just called and offered me the Bama beat. They told me I first had to cover a couple of games for free to see if I could handle it, but they basically gave me the job.

I've been beside myself since I was told of the selection. Sorry, but I had to pat myself on the back a bit.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Congats. That is awesome.

Recognition from your peers is the best kind there is.

Way to go.
  3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Huge congrats! Hope all goes well.
  4. three_bags_full

Sorry for tooting my own horn, but I had to share.
  5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Congrats! Am sure you'll write shorter than the old guy there now...
  6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well done, sir.
  7. three_bags_full

If you think about it, it's actually kind-of scary that I'll be in charge of a helicopter and crew, at some point. Especially if you know me.
  8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Way to go, mofo!

I think I speak for all us around here when I say you can come in here and pat yourself on the back all you want ... provided you save room for us to do it to you, too!
  9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

So you're going to be in charge of the helicopter and cover 'Bama? Now that's multitasking.
  10. three_bags_full

Well, it's probably more like that intern slot they have open. :-\
  11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Kudos, dude! I told you your first two rounds were on me? Now it's like three rounds. Stop being awesome at your job or I'll go broke(r).
  12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Congrats. May your tour be a safe one.
Draft saved Draft deleted