1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most unqualified sports journalist

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by timesup, Jul 10, 2008.

1. timesup

timesup New Member

After sharing a few stories with people in my old newsroom, I was told a few unbelievable stories about their former SE.

The guy was covering a summer baseball game. He was trying to find a specific coach, so he went up to a group of umpires.. One of the umpires motioned over to the field, and said "he's next to first base." The SE started walking away, then quickly returned and asked, "Where's first base?"

Sounds nuts, but I've had numerous people who were there tell me the same story. This SE made all kind of sports jargon mistakes in the paper before he was fired. What did him in was pretty funny. He was at a golf tournament and asked the golfer what he shot. The golfer replied, "one-under par." The SE must not have understood what was said because the headline in the next morning's paper read "XXXXXX wins with 100-par"

The guy was a decent writer, he just knew nothing about sports. It was a small paper and he was a one-man department, but come on. We still have fun remembering those stories. Any one have any similar stories.

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

No, and I have no idea where you'd find a thread to tell stories such as this...especially not two threads down. Seriously, don't even look.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You're wrong. It's two threads up.... No, wait, now it's three threads up. ... oops, now it's four threads up ...

4. Overrated

Overrated Guest

What is? There is no such thing.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I've shot 100-par before, but I sure as hell didn't brag about it.

6. jps

jps Active Member

I've been known to fail searching a thread a few pages back, but ....

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted