1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most undeserving team to win a national title, college or pro...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

I disagree with the contention here. It's not UF's fault the system set things up that way. If the same season had occurred now, FSU plays Az State as the only two unbeatens. Instead, because of the bowl tie-ins, UF/FSU was the highest available matchup. They had lost one game, by three in Tallahassee, with both of their starting offensive tackles injured. With those guys back, on a neutral field, they won by 32. UF was the best team in the country that year.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I hate the Gators as much as anyone can . . .

. . . but their 1996 team was ridiculously good.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

2005 Pittsburgh Steelers <bitterSeahawksfanboy>

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

#$%@$^#%^*$&*%(%^$%* Jacques candyass Demers.

Not to be confused with ##$%#%^%^* Barry Melrose, who destroyed a damn good team after this season...

(still bitter Kings fan who covered this series)

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I cannot imagine anyone providing a rational argument against that BYU team -- which played absolutely no one -- as No. 1 on this list.

6. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

*Hides under table*

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

You can pick one or more of the several illegitimate “national championships” that Alabama claims. I think they source one from a second-string linebacker’s brother’s girlfriend’s mom’s weekly neighborhood bulletin.

8. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Sucked enough to get his ass traded to Dallas in the following offseason. He gifted the Sabres a goal early in Game 1, and things just deteriorated from there. It was a sad conclusion to a great 4-5 years in Boston.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Two reasons they won: 10 Overtime wins and St. Patrick.

And if McSorley was so dumb to have that stick on the bench, then the Kings deservedt to lose.

10. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I like Cpt Kirk's pick. Those Hawks had an unusually high number of American-born players (in some ways foreshadowing the 95 Devils). Paul Stewart's grandfather was linked with the team--reason enough.

I'm tempted to throw the Golden State Warriors in there. Clifford Ray gets Nate Thurmond's ring. A really bad time for the Association. And Rick Barry is just so insufferable.

The Colts team that beat the Cowboys on Jim O'Brien's field goal was pretty ordinary.

BYU is a stand-alone. Atrocious.

Valvano's NC State ... pretty ordinary, could Guy Lewis have been fired at halftime?

YHS, etc

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

2001 Patriots

12. joe

joe Active Member

As the photo in the Post-Dispatch showed the next day, the Colorado quarterback was down at the goal line without the ball crossing the line. On fifth down. I was there. Fuck a bunch of Sal.

Draft saved Draft deleted