1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most undeserving team to win a national title, college or pro...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Oct 31, 2006.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Me neither, but neither means squat. There are no style points for Super Bowl championships and you don't have to play well the season before or the season after to win one.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That both would miss the playoffs and fail to live up to expectations.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

He did, pulling Tretiak (who was only the best goalie in the world) in favor of Myshkin, who was a journeyman.

FOF, I generally like and learn new things from your posts (and I remember reading about Balderis), but this is quite a reach. Stuff happens, even to the greatest team in the world at that time.

4. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

lol

5. I don't think anything holds a candle to the 1972 Soviet Olympic team.

But I can't believe no one's mentioned the luckiest non-Soviet championship team on earth: the 1998 Tennessee Volunteers. Needed a very generous fourth-down pass-interference call on their final drive in the season opener against Syracuse just to make a game-winning field goal get to 1-0; only beat Florida in overtime because the Gators fumbled like six times (including once into the end zone); were going down against Arkansas until, while trying to run out the clock, Clint Stoerner FELL DOWN UNTOUCHED ONTO THE FOOTBALL - fumble, Tennessee recovers and wins; and following upsets which knocked out a pair of unbeatens on the final day of the season, the Vols got to play the national-title game against a Florida State team which was down to its third-string quarterback.

After all that happened (and after Tennessee somehow emerged unscathed from the Linda Bensel-Myers and Tee Martin "investigations"), I was convinced Phil Fulmer had naked pictures of God. (Hopefully no one has naked pictures of Fulmer.)

I also call bullshit on anyone mentioning the 94-95 and 95-96 Houston Rockets. Tell me anyone could have stopped Olajuwon. Dude was absolutely sick, especially in the '96 Finals against Shaq and the Magic.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

So, we're now including the Olympics in this?

Draft saved Draft deleted