1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most underappreciated song by ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Not a huge Eagles fan but I will nominate "James Dean".

2. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

More picks...

The Kinks - "Oklahoma U.S.A."

David Bowie - "Width of a Circle"

Big Star - "Stroke It Noel"

Velvet Underground - "Foggy Notion"

The Clash - "The Card Cheat"

The Raspberries - "Nobody Knows"

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

The thing about "Tomorrow Never Knows," my Beatles pick, is I still can't figure out how Ringo does it. I'm no drummer, so maybe it's simpler than I thought, but a pattern like that would drive me insane.

Can I put in a Billy Joel nomination for "Second Wind"?

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It got plenty of airplay on FM when it came out in the mid-'80s.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Some else pointed up "Sad Cafe," which is my Eagles pick, too. I think it's one of their best songs anywhere.

6. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Van Morrison: Natalia
    Bob Seger U.M.C.
    Lovin' Spoonful: Darlin' Be Home Soon
    Elvis: Little Sister
    Ray Charles: Mess Around Blues
    Clapton: Living On Faith
    Cream: Politician
    Paul McCartney: Every Night

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Great call on this one.

A few others I thought of:

Dire Straits: Telegraph Road (although the mention earlier of The Man's Too Big was pretty good, too)
    The Kinks: Apeman
    CSN: Helplessly Hoping
    Genesis: Musical Box (especially the version on Genesis Live, which is a hugely underrated record)
    Fleetwood Mac: Coming Your Way
    The Band: Long Black Veil
    Mott The Hoople: Crash Street Kidds
    Badfinger: Perfection
    Eagles: Bitter Creek (OK, it's the Desperado album, but still, this is a great unheralded masterpiece IMO)
    Little Feat: Teenage Nervous Breakdown
    Stevie Ray Vaughan: Willie The Wimp
    Queen: Great King Rat (their first album is the only one I can listen to, and this is by far the best song on there)
    CCR: Effigy
    Aerosmith: Walkin' The Dog
    Steve Miller Band: Goin' To Mexico
    J. Geils Band: Detroit Breakdown (I'm also partial to Hard-Drivin' Man, from the Full House album, but that's probably their best and best-known record)
    Lynyrd Skynyrd: Whiskey Rock-N-Roller
    Deep Purple: Fools
    Eric Clapton: Mainline Florida
    Frank Zappa: Peaches En Regalia
    The Animals: When I Was Young
    Rod Stewart: Cut Across Shorty
    Santana: All The Love In the Universe (Deep Tracks on XM has discovered this one and they play it every so often, but it's still not one of their more widely-known songs, and it cooks)

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Radiohead: I'm going to go with a strict adherence to the rules here and avoid Radiohead's three seminal albums.
    the second track on Hail to the Thief, is good enough that it doesn't matter. Thom Yorke gets about as frenetic as he ever has as he screams about raindrops. The production on the track is beautiful, too.

Prince: Following the same stringent rules, I'm not counting Prince's four major albums here. But Parade gets overlooked anyway and probably is better than 1999 anyway, albeit less influential and sprawling and vainglorious. The opening four-track suite is really unique and fascinating, but the two standouts are single "Kiss" and closer "Sometimes It Snows in April," which may be the slowest, most subdued Prince track ever.

Guns N' Roses: Axl Rose might be the most underrated lyricist in rock history because of his frequent overindulgences. But there's some legitimate genius in
    the closer to Use Your Illusion I, which has the distinction of being the longest Guns N' Roses track and one of the few without a chorus.

OutKast: Anyone who thinks Andre 3000 got weird after Stankonia hadn't heard ATLiens. His verses on
    are some seriously out there, wildly unique and utterly beautiful stuff. Though Aquemini is the gold standard for OutKast musically, ATLiens trumps it lyrically and for a long time was my favorite album by the group.

Belle and Sebastian: The Boy with the Arab Strap gets underrated amid the praise for If You're Feeling Sinister (which is a better album and deserves that praise). But the title track,
    is charming as hell and fits perfectly with their 1960s-in-1998 aesthetic.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

This has been a helluva thread. Love nearly everyone's choices.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yeah, great thread. I just emailed this to myself for my work soundtrack tomorrow.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

was my no. 1 pick.

runner-up: drive all night.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'm not a huge Springsteen fan, so some of you might think this one is too "popular."

Still, I'd go with "Atlantic City," off his Nebraska album (certainly NOT his most popular, but one of my favorites):

Draft saved Draft deleted