1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most Under-Rated Baseball Player Today

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Jun 26, 2007.

?

Same principle as O-R: who should be given more credit than what they have been?

1. Grady Sizemore

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Trevor Hoffman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Travis Hafner

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  4. Edgar Renteria

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Tom Glavine

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  6. Chris Young (Padres RHP)

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  7. John Smoltz

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  8. Aramis Ramirez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Carl Crawford

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  10. Adrian Gonzalez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Joe Nathan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Curtis Granderson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Kevin Youkilis

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  14. Roy Oswalt

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  15. Erik Bedard

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  16. Other

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I removed Shane Victorino and didn't include James Shields is because they haven't played long enough. All the guys on this list have at least two full seasons in the bigs.

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Helton's not the only player with decreasing power the past few years...

Is Helton's contract ridiculous? Yes. Have his power numbers gone down? Yes. Is it nice to hit in Coors? Yes. But Helton, I think, is a better overall player than most people think he is, and it's still a joy to watch him hit.

3. Hammer Pants

I agree that Helton has been tremendously helped by Coors Field ... but I still think he is tremendously underrated as an overall player. He is still a ridiculously tough out no matter what park he steps in. He works the count, hits well to all fields ... he's still a pain in the ass for most pitchers, even with decreasing power.

What about other big-hitting Rockies of the past? Have their splits been as bad? Maybe Helton also hits a lot better when he sleeps in his own bed.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yes. Dante Bichette's <a href="http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/bsplit.cgi?n1=bicheda01&year=00">numbers</a> are skewed as shit, too. He sucked everywhere else he played. He gets to Colorado and suddenly he's an MVP candidate.

Sorry, but Helton is a good player whose numbers are tremendously OVERrated because of where he plays. He's not a ridiculously tough out in any park; he's a ridiculously tough out in Denver. He's a .300 hitter with average power everywhere else. Good ... but not even close to great.

At least Larry Walker and Galarraga were both All-Stars in Montreal. Helton's past his prime now, so nobody will know if he would have been an All-Star anywhere else. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt and say he would've been. But I don't think it's a slam dunk, by any means.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

If Carl Crawford played for New York/Boston/etc., he would be considered one of the premier outfielders in baseball.

See: Carlos Beltran.

6. BRoth

BRoth Member

I can't remember whether it was in one of their books or on their website, but I think Baseball Prospectus did a study of home-away splits for hitters in extreme hitter's ballparks like with Texas and Colorado and they found that no matter who the player, after a while they will start tailoring their hitting to their home ballpark advantages and their split stats get serious skewed toward their home hitting.

Check out Mark Teixeira, Matt Hollidays or others on either team.

Considering this, I think it's pretty damned impressive what Helton has done over the years home and away. While Colorado has really been advantageous for him, it's hard not to believe he wouldn't have been an All-Star elsewhere.

Since he started getting injured and missing games a couple years ago it really seems like he's fallen off the map with the fans.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yeah, Tex's numbers are pretty split, although not to the extreme of the Colorado guys.

But look at someone like Manny Ramirez, who plays in an extremely good right-handed hitter's park in Boston. His numbers are almost exactly even, home and road (granted, he also played 7 seasons in Cleveland, which is a hitter's park but not as favorable as Boston ... or Texas or Colorado.)

I just don't consider Helton to be on close to the same level. He's a good player, an All-Star, whose numbers are tremendously skewed by playing in Denver.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Carlos Lee -- tremendously underrated and still just as good as Carlos Beltran.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Other: Matt Holliday

11. Hammer Pants

Copycat.

You a Cubs fanboy looser now, too?

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Damn, Hammer, missed your Holliday post.

The Cubbies? MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Draft saved Draft deleted