1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most tiresome sports story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CD Boogie, Jul 21, 2017.

1. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Borrrring, right? And yet, a certain team's fans got all ticked off when their beat guys wrote about this instead:

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Does part of that stem from the fact there are so many more baseball games than the other sports? Once the season gets rolling there's games at least five days a week. You fall into the daily grind and there's not a lot of time for players to get into other stuff most of the time. Almost all of the drama is connected to the game, unless you have an absolutely dysfunctional team.
    Football and basketball, there's more down time between games and you have to fill more dead air.

Donny in his element likes this.
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It's more a reaction to the clickbait mentality taking over the media. We've all seen the headline "Danny Doubledribble slammed on Twitter after missing layup in schoolyard game." OK, a bit extreme, but you get the drift. It's low-hanging fruit that keeps middle managers off the reporters' back.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Back in the late 20th century, before the Pats got good and before the Sox finally won a Series, that sort of stuff was exactly how the Red Sox were covered in Boston. In the '70s, the Herald actually hired a woman whose experience was the entertainment industry beat to cover the team.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This is it, hands down.

6. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

But at least he stopped the clock.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Bill Simmons.

The plight of millennial longformers who can't find a home for their masterworks.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It's low-hanging fruit that middle managers force reporters to do. I've witnessed this myself.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

For a single story rather than a recurring event, I'll go with God's Quarterback.

10. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

A thousand times this.

11. Prep: Two/three sports star feature.
    College: signings/recruiting
    Pros: who got snubbed from whatever all-star game, all-pro team.
    And ...
    ANYTHING sports talk radio is discussing.

12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Jim Rome getting bitch slapped by Jim "Chris" Everett. I thought that would never go away.

Draft saved Draft deleted