1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most tiresome sports story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CD Boogie, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Bob Smith

Bob Smith Member

Most tiresome story: Who will win Heisman.
    Most tiresome headline: One for the ages

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I find the time between the Super Bowl and the start of the season a colossal bore.

The NFL Combine? Oh boy, like we don't know their 40 times already?
    The NFL Draft? OK, this is the real deal, but the tradeoff is week after week after week of mock drafts.
    Minicamps and OTAs? Perhaps the worst, especially on Twitter. "VIDEO: Sammy Sterioids makes a sensational catch over Bobby Biceps." It's practice. Who give a flying eff?
    Training camp? Another real deal, but there's a tradeoff here too: Preseason games blown out of proportion. "Football is back, and you'll want to see it all Friday night when last year's Super Bowl teams meet again!" If only the starters were in for more than one series ...

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Even Bill Belichick(!!) has admitted training is very boring for all concerned. Speaking as a former beat writer, that's why the preseason games get overcovered. You are so desperate to have something almost real to write/broadcast about you go overboard.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

TEEEEEEEEEEBOOOOWWWWWWW!!!!11!!!1!!!!!

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If I hear one more time that a quarterback went 8 for 11 at practice and "threw the ball well" ...

Alma likes this.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

What's everyone saying on Twitter about the Big Story? Bastard stepchild to interviewing people in the stands/at the sports bar.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I understand there are only so many games, so people report on things that happen away from the field/court - but man I'm tired of the drama about the Lakers, the Cowboys, the Cavs. And yet it does strike me that one of the reasons baseball may be "dead" to many is that outside of Tebowmania - there is very little off-field "drama" being reported about baseball.
    Honestly, sports reporting is getting to be like high school. Player X isn't friends anymore with Player Y (he's not following him on Twitter - what does it mean?). Player C showed up late to class - I heard he was at a big party last night! I think Player A might come to our school, but only if Player B comes as well - they're best friends. And did you see what Player D wore today? OMG! Did you hear what Player Z SAID? Whoa.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

You don't hear it about hockey either. Much less drama. Basketball and football players are a helluva lot more inclined to be drama queens and look at me types. Hell, baseball still has a culture that largely polices self aggrandizement, as evidence by the Harper brawl earlier this year for some shit that happened three years ago. Wide receivers like Odell Beckham are carrying on the tradition of Ochocinco, TO, Moss and the like. And of course quarterbacks are so vital to a team that there is drama going on constantly with more than 50 percent of teams. Just the nature of these sports. The drama queens tend to play hoops and football

9. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

"Gate" stories are almost always tiresome: Spygate, Bullygate, Deflategate, GateHouse, etc.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, the NFL mock draft thing is tiresome as hell. 10 different people have the same player going to 10 different teams.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Especially the ones where they make up a trade out of thin air. Pure fanfic at that point.

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Can't believe I didn't think of this one. Definitely the most tiresome story in sports in the history of the world.

Draft saved Draft deleted