1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most tiresome sports story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CD Boogie, Jul 21, 2017.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

for me, it used to be whether Tiger Woods was back or done. It was the staple column of every hackneyed hump on the circuit. Nowadays it's some take on Colin Kaepernick. Every day there's a new person chiming -- Michael Vick, Brandon Marshall of the Broncos -- about a story that to me is dead.

If Kaepernick were worth the trouble, he'd have a job. It's that simple. Vick is living proof.

For me, this is the most tiresome story in sports right now. Other candidates? And in your experience, what were the stories that you felt were the most tiresome?

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

LeBron, unless he is making news on the basketball court.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

College recruiting stories. Why get excited over a bunch of high school kids that 99.99 percent of the country have never heard of?

Bronco77 likes this.
  4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Whatever ESPN is talking about at lunchtime?

Most tiresome for me is "baseball games are too long." It's a fact and it's not fixable without radical thinking. But every day I hear or read someone rattling off game times and trying to work up outrage.

gravehunter likes this.
  5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

NFL draft.
    Daytona.
    NBA All Star Game.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This NBA offseason has been the worst. More crap thrown against the wall with little sticking that I can remember. At least last year Durant to the Warriors was a legit big story. Melo to Houston or not? Who cares?

dixiehack and Bronco77 like this.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Similarly, pretty much any coaching search story. Half of what you hear is bullshit, and the other half is denied by anyone actually in the know (until it comes out in the end that it was true all along). Meanwhile, every assistant coach who ever shared an elevator with the AD at a convention and asked what floor he was going to are suddenly the top candidate because day-drinking asshole called into Finebaum and swears he saw them together at a truck stop in rural Georgia.
    Hate those stories as a reporter and a consumer. Call me when you hire somebody.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The s/he has redeemed him/herself story (hi, Starman).

9. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

I can't disagree with anything that's been posted. All of these stories are tiresome, and the NBA offseason (one of the papers in my market publishes a constant stream of speculative stories about the local team and who it may or may not be acquiring) has been especially ponderous.

But for long-term irritation passed down through generations of sports journalists, it's hard to beat recruiting -- especially football recruiting, which is now a year-round thing.

LeBron, Tiger, Kaepernick and the rest come and go. But recruiting coverage was a pain in the butt when I began my career in the early '80s, and it will remain a pain in someone's butt long after I'm gone.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

But isn't recruiting one of the few things in sports people pay for online?

11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Tiresome? The never-ending Brett Favre retiring/not retiring/coming out of retirement saga.

gravehunter and HanSenSE like this.
  12. Bob Smith

Bob Smith Member

Draft saved Draft deleted