1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most tedious assignment EVER

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PhilaYank36, Jan 9, 2007.

1. statrat

statrat Member

Retyping swim results by hand because the coaches don't know how to email them in makes me want to pull my eyes out of my skull.

2. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

The SE at my first paper always took a somewhat patronizing tone to me. It was always "Now, now, young one, type out this bowling agate and maybe someday down the road we'll find a junior high football game to cover if you've paid your dues."

The upside to pecking in bowling agate in a small town in the south is you run across some great names.

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

doing any agate pretty much sucks. i admire anyone who can do it on a regular basis and not be miserable.

4. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I worked at one rag where they submitted the bowling agate, hand-written on yellow legal paper that just reeked of cigarette smoke. When the SE would open the envelope the results came in, the smell of smoke went everywhere.

5. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

First weekly I ever worked at, the weekly "Legion Report" was shared. We had three employees and each week, one of us would type it up.

It was a had-written letter/report from an 80-year old veteran, obviously a member of the Legion. He'd let the community know who was leading the Euchre League, Crib League, who won the meat draw - yes, a draw for a basket full of meat products. Had upcoming events, like horsehshoes and shuffleboard, etc.

Again, I remind you, it was HAND-WRITTEN BY AN 80-YEAR-OLD!

He'd deliver it on his bicycle every DEADLINE DAY!

6. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I'm surprised none of you have strung yourselves up like Bubbles yet after reading some of these horror stories.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I never had a problem typing agate. In some ways it was nice because you could just zone out, listen to tunes and type away. I wouldn't want to do it eight hours a day, five days a week by any means. But I didn't think it was the worst thing in the world.

8. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

*Typing in schedules, rosters, and last year's results for a preview pullout section.
    *Typing in agate from large swimming, wrestling, and track meets, as well as cross-country and golf
    *Designing a two-page high school all-star spread for which none of the content or pictures gets turned in before 10 p.m. on the night it's going in the paper

9. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

Special Olympics

10. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Elementary school cross country meet. Boys and girls grade 3,4 and 5. Talked to kids who won, kids who tried hard, moms who brought day care kids and cheered along, moms who videoed -- wrote what I thought was a pretty good piece considering. Next day: shit from a grandma who couldn't believe I didn't have a quote from the little boy who won the Grade 4 race.

11. lono

lono Active Member

Editing a 120,000-word self-help book written by a guy who couldn't write to save his soul, but thought he was a genius. :-X

12. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

For me, it's been designing, editing and laying out season preview pullouts all in one night before they had to go to press. It's not much, I know, but it's never fun to be there from 4 p.m. until 7:30 a.m. and spending much of that time either trying to move templates, type in statistics or do the other bogus work with InDesign to make the think look good.

Draft saved Draft deleted