1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most ridiculous lawsuits of 2011 announced

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jan 3, 2012.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

This is good for some laughs at the content of the lawsuit and then headshaking and puzzlement as to why these were even allowed to be filed ....

As chosen by voters who visited the US Chamber of Commerce's Institute for Legal Reform website and voted at FacesofLawsuitAbuse.org

http://www.instituteforlegalreform.com/blog/commentary/most-ridiculous-lawsuit-of-2011-announced

The winner for the most ridiculous lawsuit was...
    The rest of the Top 10...

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Yes, why were they even allowed to be filed? Tort reform, please.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce WANTS you to read that stuff and respond with, "Tort reform, please."

It has thrown millions of dollars of corporate money into buying judge elections and getting laws passed to make it nearly impossible for consumers (with legitimate concerns) to sue the Fortune 500 companies that fund its lobbying activity. It is a well-financed machine with a BS agenda.

Yes, there are silly lawsuits. But the U.S. Chamber of Commerce exists to prevent legitimate law suits. And it has been VERY successful at getting that agenda through, under the guise of a "frivilous lawsuits" problem.

4. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

That, or there are just stupid lawsuits and it's too easy to file them.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This thread has Dick Whitman written all over it.

6. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I am on board with the intentions of the person suing Chuck E Cheese, some of the games in there are straight up games of chance. I am not sure a lawsuit is the best course of action though.

I called our provincial gaming authorities on one of the local places here which basically has roulette for kids in their establishment. I am not anti-gaming by any means, love me some blackjack, just don't think games of chance should be aimed at kids.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Lawsuits are like the First Amendment, they may seem ridiculous, but let them voice their opinion and you get to make your own decision regarding the merits of the case. Otherwise you get censorship and legitimate claims die prematurely (well they still do now but at least not as many).

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm guessing the mother would have to show that her child lost their nest egg or otherwise suffered some kind of harm.

That said, of course those games are a form of gambling. The big toy crane absolutely is, as is skeeball and other things that win you tickets. Kids chasing tickets to redeem for candy = adults chasing slot points to redeem for a buffet.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Bingo.

I'm not very comfortable with tossing aside the seventh amendment and replacing it with people's notions of "stupid" and "too easy to file." (Yodel's post)

We might as well toss some more of the Bill of Rights, while we're at it.

Freedom of the speech. ... As long as you don't say anything "stupid."
    Freedom of Religion. ... as long as your religion isn't "stupid."
    Due process? Only if you aren't "obviously" guilty!
    Speedy trial? Right to counsel? See the due process criteria.

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce is a giant lobbying organization with a twisted agenda that slings millions of dollars at candidates and judicial elections to advance its agenda. It's everything that is wrong with this country. People shouldn't be so comfortable with leaving to lobbyists and lawyers paid for with millions of dollars by the biggest companies from the financial services, insurance, tobacco, oil, pharmaceutical, etc. industries (i.e. the U.S. Chamber of Commerce) to help us weed out the civil law suits that are "stupid."

It's not about the stupid lawsuits we can all laugh at as silly. It's about the law suits that hold them liable monetarily when they do encroach on people's rights.

10. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

So, wouldn't the best course of action be to not take your child to Chuck E Cheese?

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Absolutely. The place I called about here is far worse than Chuck E Cheese and they don't see a dime of my money.

12. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I guess I don't understand the call to the gaming authorities, then. Why not just stop taking your child? Why complain about something that, in light of all the other things kids are exposed to, is really rather meaningless?

Draft saved Draft deleted