1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most remote place you've ever stayed

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

US only, and there really should be two categories for this thread, North America and the rest of the world.

1. Traveling with family on summer vacation, the rental car died one mile east of Stateline UT/NV, right next door to the Bonneville Salt Flats. Two days in Stateline.
    2. Snowbound in Havre, Mont.
    3. Those who think you can't find isolated in the East Coast are invited to visit the great state of Maine and head for the North Woods.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Tawas City, Michigan.
    Liberty Corner, Ohio

And sometown I can't remeber, but I know it's 15 minutes from Tahoe...

3. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Hooker, Oklahoma, home of the Horny Toads (the American Legion team).

4. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Fly,

Even if you could go to Whitehorse, there's no place to stay during the games -- actually spoke to an agent who told me that his brother (who lives there) can't take him in.

I've stood on a corner in Winslow, as per the song.

YHS, etc

5. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I'll take a stab at topping those...

Middle of the Atlantic Ocean at depths sometimes in excess of 800 feet. Also crossed equator in the Pacific and the Arctic Circle in the North Atlantic.

Ha! I knew three years on a submarine would pay off someday!

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

That was my point... For work I've never had to stay in a truly remote location. Both places I named are close to rural, maybe small suburban.
    Most remote place I've spent overnight was Cumberland Falls, Kentucky and even that's not remote -- it's rural.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Damn, I've lived in one of the towns mentioned above and covered games in several of them.

Gotta love the hamlets in Far West Texas: Alpine, Marfa, Fort Davis, Presidio, Marathon, Pecos, Monahans. Balmorhea: My favorite swimming hole, ever.

Most remote place I've ever stayed: Ruidosa, Texas, just northwest of Presidio. The end of the line, that's for damn sure.

Honorable mention: Hachita, NM.

8. scribbler357

scribbler357 Member

Most remote: Shemya AFB, Alaska - the next to last island on the Aleutian chain. Damn near in Russian airspace, but close enough to still get cable. Thank God for AFN!

Honorable mention: Lubbock, Texas - I know that might not seem fair, but it just felt like the edge of the earth.

9. Rankin Inlet, Nunavit

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Ding,ding we have a winner although Mr. FoF's Moose Factory is a pretty close second.

Well, in the international category: Stornoway on the Islae of Lewis in the Scottish Hebrides.

Spent three days sampling every single malt whiskey available.

It was beautifully desolate.

Dubrovnik, Yugolsovia before the break-up.

In the North American division, the St. Stephen's Peninsula in Newfoundland and in the U.S., not remote but well, in the middle of nowhere, Oscaloosa, Kansas (it's a very, very long story).

And closer to home, Manitoulin Island. One of the great undiscovered places in Ontario. Largest town is around 1,000 people NO chains: no Wal-Marts, McDonald's, KFC, Tim Horton's nothing.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Lordsburg, N.M., for me, spending a week reporting on a high school football team that was, remarkably, south of there.

But north of the border.

12. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Having never been to Mongolia, I'm not even in the top 10. Goderich, Ontario is as remote as I've ever stayed. Was there 4 days for a family reunion. When I made the reservation, I asked if they have cable/satellite. "Oh, sure." I was told. I found out later that that meant that the OWNER had it. In the motel rooms, all you got was some lame station from Alpena, Michigan. Also, the owner got mad at you if your A/C was on too long. Had a great time drinking cases of beers with meeting my Canuckistanian cousins though.

Draft saved Draft deleted