1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most remote place you've ever stayed

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Jan 31, 2007.

1. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Well, I went to school just a crow's throw from Winslow, Arizona.
    And I spent my first 18 summers in Butte, Montana (got tons of family who CHOSE to live there.)

If it weren't for Papua New Guinea's "cannibalism lifestyle" (I think that's how Felicity described it in one of her articles), either Winslow or Butte would have been my No. 1 ;D

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I agree with Cougargirl ... No such thing as remote on the east coast.

Never really stayed anywhere remote in the U.S. without camping (Anchorage is about as remote as I've gotten), but did stay a 3-hour boatride and day and a half hike into the jungle of Thailand. Coolest thing I've done by far.

Stayed in huts that floated on a river. Saw some amazing wildlife, including a 6-foot-long baby (BABY!) King Cobra. Just waiting for the political climate to settle there before I go back.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Garrett County is out in the middle of fucking no where. I can never understand how it's Maryland when you have Pa. and WV pretty much surrounding it.

4. WSKY

WSKY Member

Butte is a crap hole, but it's also one sweet fucking place to get rip-roaring drunk.

5. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Somehow I knew I'd come up in this discussion...

Though it is a city of 40,000, Grande Prairie, Alta. is pretty isolated. Covered a national volleyball championship there back in the day.

Spent a night in Prosser, Washington once because my buddies last name is Prosser. That was fun until I tried going into a bar (I was only 18 at the time).

Got a friend working out of Yellowknife right now. He said he takes a plane out to a lot of his assignments because roads won't do the trick in the Arctic all the time. Of course, it's also about the time of year when the sun never comes up there.

I think I'd rather be stranded in Papua New Guinea.

6. McCook, Neb., Garden City, Kan., or Sheridan, Wyo.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Spent first two years of my life and two trips a year for so many more in Rouses Point, N.Y., the northern-most tip of the state.
    Realistically, it's only 28 minutes from Montreal, but it seems so much further away. Now that the drug lab is closing, it's about to have about 1,200 ppl, most of whom wish they no longer lived there.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Ninety-Six, S.C.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Inspiration for one of the most unique baseball nicknames of all time:

Bill "Ninety-Six" Voiselle, voted best pitcher in the National League for 1944 by The Sporting News. :D

Voiselle's No. 96, which he received special permission to wear for the Giants and Braves, was the highest uniform number ever worn in MLB until Mitch Williams came along nearly a half-century later.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

A toss-up betwen Lafayette, La. and Sweetwater, Texas.

Lafayette was a lot more fun. And a lot more green.

11. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Cameron, Arizona - An extremely small town about 30 miles east of the Grand Canyon in Navajo country. My hotel room didn't even have a phone.

12. In a grimy, run-down waystation-cum-restaurant just outside Ulaanbaatar.

The bed was straw upon the floor and the company surly but man, the beef for supper was good eatin'.

Another memorable, out-of-the-way place was a tiny village called Shag betwixt Tikrit and Baghdad. Nothing there but oil pipelines that were constantly being blown up and livestock. Tons of goats.

Draft saved Draft deleted