1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most remote place you've ever stayed

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Jan 31, 2007.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Many of us have been to Starkvegas, Stillwater, Pullman and other remote places as part of our jobs. But where's the most BFE place you've ever stayed in a hotel/motel room? (Not camping, etc.)

For me, a choice between Carrington, N.D., and John Day, Ore. Both in the middle of nowhere. But both were surprisingly nice little motels, for about $25 each night.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Cokeville, Wyoming.

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

Salt Lake City

[duckingchairsfromModaho]

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

We used to drive to Phoenix from Missouri and stay in Tucumcari, NM after the first day of driving. I don't remember much being around it, but I remember my dad telling us some cheesy story about how the city was named.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

You don't get out much if a city of 1-mill plus is remote

/i know you were making a joke

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Butte, Mont.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I've stayed in Vienna, Rome and Athens.

But they were all in Georgia.

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

Got stranded 14 miles east of Las Vegas................New Mexico

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

So many places to list, here are a few:

• Ottawa, Illinois, at a shit-ass motel with pubic hairs on the sheets; a buddy and I followed the Dead for a few months in '93 and '94, and were blessed to be at the last show ever at Soldier Field

• Anderson, Indiana, at a Motel 6, during a different Dead tour.

• Dodge City, Kansas, for 5 days when my car broke down; Fort Scott, Kansas, when my car broke down 300 miles later; ain't nuttin' like the Bourbon County Fair, I tell'z ya.

• Independence, Missouri, in a crack-whore motel, one night after watching a Royals baseball game, during a cross-country trip.

• Some town in Texas I can't even remember, but I do remember it was a dry county.

• Morrisville, Vermont, at a seedy motel, after a day-long drive.

• Green River, Utah, after a day of driving from Vegas.

• North Lima, Ohio, at the Scottish Inn, and after I went swimming in the pool I was sick for 5 days; never, ever go swimming in a Scottish Inn swimming pool.

• Santa Rosa, New Mexico, at a different Scottish Inn, only cleaner, and there was a cute Indian girl who worked the front desk.

• Blythe, California, after a day of driving. The waitress at Denny's looked exactly like a girl I dated in Vermont.

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I love how New Mexico already has entries in almost every post...

Mine: El Rito, New Mexico.

11. WSKY

WSKY Member

for work, it has to be Laramie, Wyo.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Bad Axe, Michigan.

Draft saved Draft deleted