1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most Profound Thing I've Ever Heard At A College Softball Game

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by daytonadan1983, Mar 17, 2012.

1. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

The singing here takes place at the juco level. I haven't heard high school teams singing. I know the coach for the team I cover would never tolerate it.

The juco team is 0-25 this year, getting outscored by an average of 12-3. They've managed to avoid the run rule just six times. They probably sing all the while. And every song probably ends in "Awwwwwwwww."

2. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

I actually prefer working softball than baseball, which is a 5 night a week a grind.

Second story. Many of our softball players are nursing students. When I went in for my 1st heart proceedure, a former backup player was one of my pre-op nurses. When my son went into the hospital, the GA coach was his floor nurse.

Back to the tech, I'm working my mens bb tournament and we win our semi game. In the scramble afterwards, I didnt hit the send button on twitter on the way to post-game. 15 minutes later, I get a "why didn't you tweet" text. C'mon man.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

iPod, my man. iPod.

4. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Psh, I was at a college softball game this weekend. At least 400 people there. Probably more as I didn't try to count them.

Then again, the team I watched has the biggest stadium in the country and has led the nation in attendance 5 years running. (Roll Tide)

Also, the college I went to often saw crowds of 2-300 folks on any given weekend. That's a pretty good softball crowd.

I'd much rather watch softball than baseball. Softball is much faster paced.

5. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

My alma mater has a softball field that puts a lot of Double-A baseball stadiums to shame. And they pack it out. Even charge admission. It's not a bad sport to watch if the teams are good. I hate women's basketball, but I'll watch the hell out of the CWS.

The chanting...arggggh. Annoying as hell. LEAD-OFF...LEAD-OFF....LEAD..LEAD...OFF!!!

My ears still bleed.

6. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

I played high school softball in Upstate New York, and we'd never heard the chants and singing until we went to Myrtle Beach for a tournament. I HATED it, but it's a staple up here now, too.

7. sportbook

sportbook Member

Not anymore. Yes, there are some big girls but I don't see a lot of fat girls running around at the DI level. ESPN ratings for college softball are actually pretty strong.

8. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

My daughter played elite level travel ball from the time she was 15 until she graduated from high school and had earned a scholarship (D-2) and she hated the cheers. She loved the travel team she played for because on the first day of try-outs the coach asked the girls if they knew all the cheers. The girls were very enthusiastic in their response...

Coach said "we don't do that crap on this team".

My kid was ecstatic

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Why? Isn't it sort of like the players admitting they are bored with their own sport?

10. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I wonder if he knows Johnny LaRue or Guy Caballero.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'll bet there isn't much competition for the title of Most Profound Thing Ever Heard at a College Softball Game. The list of profound things said at a college softball game is probably pretty darn short.

12. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I think Lola Heatherton plays softball.

Draft saved Draft deleted