1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most Profound Thing I've Ever Heard At A College Softball Game

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by daytonadan1983, Mar 17, 2012.

1. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

The other day I'm struggling working my college softball game (Don't laugh. I like to eat). Shorthanded as we already are, the technogeek guy who used to handle the sport has hijacked my computer becuase we're having live scoring and internet issues in the middle of the game, and I'm trying to score the game and run and scoreboard.

Team turns a triple play, then scores 12 runs in the bottom half of the inning. The post-game report is all frakked up, but it's correctible because the coaches are cool.

Head Coach and I had a pow-wow discussing what's really important and how to prioritze:

"If folks want or need the information that badly or quickly, why aren't they at the game?"

I will never stress out over a tweet or live stat again ...

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

An SID once summed up college softball this way: "Fat girls bunting."

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

At least the profound thing wasn't the girls all singing on the bench.

When I covered high schools, there were several softball teams that did that. Thought it was annoying as hell.

Work on your bunting instead of your singing. This ain't choir practice.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Dan's coach makes a fine point.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Any sport that has less than a 100 people watching should not be covered.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd also argue that travel should be limited to 10 times your average crowd at every level. You usually get about 50 people at your games? You shouldn't be traveling across the country to play in front of another 50 people. Better to spend that money on an additional scholarship or two.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Yes, you will. *

* Looking at it realistically, but hoping you are right and I am wrong.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

No more two weeks in Arizona or California playing in meaningless "classics".

9. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I used to drive by my college's softball field every day when I left campus. It was a mid major Division I school, mind you. They would play a lot of afternoon games, and I'd drive by during a game and notice the 50 people in attendance. I would then go out and cover a local high school softball game and realize the hundred or so people at that game meant it drew at least twice as much as my college.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It's R B I time! It's RBI time! It's hit the ball time! It's RBI time!

11. sctvman

sctvman New Member

Softball at the college level, except for the major schools (Tennessee, Arizona, a few others) is usually a loss leader. You're lucky to get a couple hundred fans for most games.

You never see softball highlights on our local news unless something major happens (like a perfect game). Baseball, though, gets highlights shown for each and every game, even road games.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Assuming you're located where your name suggests, I can understand that.

Draft saved Draft deleted