1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

most 'precious' christmas stories

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I overthink everything, and this will not be an exception. But your point about the communal aspect of the myth is interesting, and I can buy into that theory. Please send me your newsletter.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

OK, I guess I didn't read that into shockey's deal. Maybe I didn't read him close enough.

I wouldn't say scarred or friendless. I would say it's something kids miss out on that's a defining part of the culture. Whether they're ultimately missing anything, I suppose I don't know.

3. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

That wasn't necessarily pointed at you, Vers. I'm just prickly today. And buying tons of Christmas presents online so I'm in the fucking holiday spirit.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Hell, I've been prickly for two or three weeks, on and off the board. But that post was serious. You made a fine point.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You play "Santa" with you kid in the same way to take them to Disney. It's not about what you want; it's about what they want. And 99 percent of the time you find more joy giving them what they want than you do getting what you want.

And seeing my little girl all jacked for Christmas is a hundred times better than any gift I ever got from anyone.

6. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

There was one other Jewish child in her entire grade. I didn't want her to be "that Jewish kid who ruined Christmas for ALL OUR CHILDREN."

So I told her the myth. She may even have learned the truth a little late, since it wasn't part of her life.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This would be a good time to post a picture of Kate Upton sucking on a red-white-and-blue popsicle....

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

So then you bought her presents for Christmas? Or you told her Santa only likes Christians? (I promise I am not being snarky here.)

9. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Santa was for Christian kids. We had Hanukkah. Just based on my kids, there wasn't any feeling of injustice about gifts. When they were little, they envied the Christmas hoopla, which I'm very happy not to have to deal with.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Gross.

11. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I would.

12. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Somewhere, the Ginger Bear weeps.

Draft saved Draft deleted