1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most overrated

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, May 11, 2015.

1. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Dion Phaneuf was voted most over-rated NHLer in a players' poll SI took a few years ago. Brian Burke (Leafs GM at the time) blasted any player who answered the question, spouting off about betrayal, etc., etc. I just think Burke was mad because the players were right.

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I've always looked at "overrated" as how much does ESPN shove them down our throats?

Some of the greatest athletes playing today are overrated.

Tiger Woods fell out of the top 100, but we see his name -- and oftentimes ONLY his name -- when golf tournaments crawl across the screen. Sometimes we don't even see the leader.

Bryce Harper isn't overrated, but it's been said many times by many people that he's an asshole. I've seen no evidence to suggest otherwise.

By my first-line standards, the Washington Nationals are overrated. They have yet to win anything.

The L.A. Lakers are overrated. So are the N.Y. Knicks. The Brooklyn Nets were vastly overrated during the season. Again, going by my first-line standards.

The Williams sisters are overrated. Sure, Serena still wins now and again, but her best days are behind her. Maria Sharapova is overrated. She almost always was, because for a long time, she got by on her looks (no fault there).

All that said, some athletes, we just can't get enough of. Is Salvador Perez overrated? What has he accomplished? Yet, I love to see him play and I love to hear him talk. I love his exuberance.

Overrated is in the eye of the beholder.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I guess that was done in the off season. If that was done before the playoffs last year, it might have more merit.

Harper is just killing the ball and there is no reason to think he's going to stop anytime for the next 12-14 years.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

This shit again? Seriously?

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Why would anybody who ever attended high school be surprised that a star athlete is an asshole? Anything otherwise is far more newsworthy.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Except that Harper is not an asshole. Not even close.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I don't know how these things get started. Harper is an extremely likeable, friendly, energetic, intelligent and interesting young guy. He's also 25.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

He's 22.

These things get started because a lot of people inexplicably get upset when great players actually recognize that they're great players.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He's 22.

10. JackReacher

He's 22. And it's because people remember some of the things he did at 16 and 17 and assume he's the same person now.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He's won 14 majors.

He's a lot of things.

"Overrated" is not one of them.

12. JackReacher

People like Harley say "it's been said" that he's an asshole, yet he needs "evidence" to be convinced otherwise. Completely logical!

Draft saved Draft deleted