1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most overrated Beatles song...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by AreaMan, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I used to sort of feel that way. Then I listened to the entire Hard Days Night album.

It's unquestionably one of their best. Some of those songs are "harder" than they seem too.

2. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

I'm at a loss for the word, but maybe it's 'darker'? I don't know. Eleanor Rigby and Blackbird ...that's the kind of Beatles that I get into. But I'm also a bigger fan of Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd than I am of the Beatles.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'd say he was right on most of them. Vehemently disagree on Run for Your Life, Lady Madonna and Lovely Rita; awesome songs. And he is dead on about I Am the Walrus as the much more appropriate A side over Hello Goodbye.

And boo to whoever dissed Helter Skelter!

4. Bubbler

Matter of taste. I prefer Hello Goodbye over I Am The Walrus all day long. I actually prefer the stripped down I Am The Walrus that was on one of the Anthology discs.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Lennon himself could have done a GREAT job singing "Lady Madonna."

While Paul was the in-house Elvis imitator in the Beatles, John was no slouch himself, as he proved when he broke his Elvis voice out of deep storage for 1980's "(Just Like) Starting Over."

It would have been fun as hell, had the B's reunited in the 80s, for them to put out an album or so of them redoing their own old classics -- but with the lineup (mainly lead vocals) all switched around.

"Hey Jude," with John on piano and lead vocals and Paul only chiming in near the end, would have been a great concert number for a reunited Beatles.

6. Bubbler

Why stop there? Why not have John sing Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey?

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

John on the slower part and Paul on the faster part would be fun.

8. dooley_womack1

The power pop of Cheap Trick at that time wouldn't have been a good mesh with Double Fantasy-era Lennon. A few years later, with Cheap Trick doing The Flame and Tonight It's You...now we're talking.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Supposedly Cheap Trick did do run-throughs of most of the 'rock-style' Double Fantasy material (their version of 'I'm Losing You' has come out on various anthology collections) but there were contractual issues involved in them appearing, billed or unbilled, on the album, so midway in the recording process their versions were scotched and the Lennon studio band did the backing.

I've also read accounts that the fact that Trick was big, real big, at the time, was a problem too, because they couldn't or wouldn't agree to appear as co-headliners or only as Lennon's backing band, and Lennon (rightly so) didn't want to tour as the "special guest" of Cheap Trick.

10. dooley_womack1

Now, of course, Cheap Trick would be happy to headline at Mohegan Sun.

Draft saved Draft deleted