1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most overrated baseball player of all time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by yourbuddy, Jul 10, 2006.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

A couple of years of aura doesn't compare to more than two decades of it. Comparing Ryan to Bo Belinsky takes some real cred out of your argument. And yes, if people name him as one of the top 10 pitchers of all times, that's a pretty good sign of FAME. And the fucking place is called the Hall of FAME, not the Hall of Stats.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Busting on Ripken for "taking" 21 years to reach 3,000 hits is just plain dumb. Nothing like using longevity, a positive stat, as a negative one.

I agree with the people who nominated Gary Carter. Maybe I missed his good years, but he was a major lump later in his career.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Striking out a major league hitter is one of the toughest things to do.

Total emasculation of the best hitters in the world. An out wthout the ball being put in play.

It counts a lot to me.

4. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

are sandy koufax, bob gibson, walter johnson, roger clemens, pedro, carlton, randy johnson, greg maddux and tom seaver better than ryan?

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Here are twenty pitchers better than Nolan Ryan (in no particular order)

1. Roger Clemens
    2. Greg Maddux
    3. Tom Seaver
    4. Steve Carlton
    5. Cy Young
    6. Christy Mathewson
    7. Bob Feller
    8. Warren Spahn
    9. Sandy Koufax
    10. Bob Gibson
    11. Walter Johnson
    12. Pete Alexander
    13. Randy Johnson
    14. Tom Glavine
    15. Pedro Martinez
    16. Jim Palmer
    17. Lefty Grove
    18. Robin Roberts
    19. Fergie Jenkins
    20. Whitey Ford

6. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

In addition to being sick of stat-heads who have the answer to everything via numbers, I'm also so unbelievably sick of the word, and the argument, "overrated." You know what? You're using concrete details to argue a completely abstract point. It's so god damn useless. I cannot STAND sports people who get off on calling someone overrated. You're right, Nolan Ryan wasn't as good as some people think. But you know what? You're not proving shit. You're standing on a pedestal in the middle of nowhere, arguing some offshoot point that has no pertinence to anything. So sure, go right the fuck ahead and tell me that Nolan Ryan is overrated. You're right. I hope that you can revel in your wisdom.

7. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

I'll take Ryan over Pedro and Maddux any day.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Carter's subtle and career-long self-promotional efforts got him into Cooperstown as much as playing in the Big Apple did.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I'd take him over Maddux.

10. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

an out's an out. i'd rather have an hour-forty-five, 90-pitch greg maddux special in which the defense stays interested and ready, and the hitters can get back in the dugout quickly instead of standing out in the field all day waitinig for a stikeout.

K's are for ESPN. quick, qround-ball outs are for winners.

11. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

FAME can be created from doing a few things incredibly well while being slightly above average at the rest. FAME can be created by playing in certain media markets. FAME can come from being a media-friendly fan favorite. FAME can come from beating up Robin Ventura or doing commercials.

STATS don't care whether the media liked you or if you made for good video or if your singular amazing talent overshadowed your weaknesses in the eyes of the voters. FAME is based on faded memories and unusual accomplishments. STATS are for guys who are good enough that their supporters don't need to fall back on a "The fans like me! The fans really like and remember me!"

12. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

then you'd win half the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted