1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most overrated baseball player of all time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by yourbuddy, Jul 10, 2006.

1. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

kerry wood.

2. GoPadres

GoPadres Guest

Jeter is overrated because he is made out to be the greatest shortstop of his time when he's not even the best shortstop on his TEAM.

3. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

ok, Exhibit C is useless, because that's a vote and not an objective measure. Exhibit A relies on the quality of his teammates, so that's not real helpful either. Ryan's positive numbers more than outweigh what you've got left.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

5. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Yeah, those Angels teams were so great when he pitched. It's a testament to him that he DID win 300 games.

6. GoPadres

GoPadres Guest

I have no idea how you can say that about a guy who threw seven no-hitters (the next closest is *FOUR*) and struck out 1,500 more guys than the pitcher who is (rightfully) considered by some to be the best since Walter Johnson (Clemens).

Ryan was probably one of the most feared pitchers in the last 30 years.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

If Jeter was drafted by the Pirates, would he have have four rings? You get a clue.

Also helps him that he doesn't look like Melido Perez.

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Beat me to it. Had he never played in New York, he would not have sniffed the Hall of Fame.

9. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

greg maddux won a cy young with a bad cubs team in 1992. it is possible to excel and even help your team a little when it is bad.

10. yourbuddy

yourbuddy New Member

I know that wins are partially dependent on teammates, which is why I also pointed out that his ERA was rarely among the league leaders.  So it's not as if Ryan was a great pitcher toiling on mediocre teams his entire career.

The Cy Young vote is useful because it shows that during his career he was almost never regarded as one of the very best pitchers.  Nowadays many people forget that Ryan was merely an above-average pitcher for most of his career, with just a few dominant seasons mixed in.  He's nowhere close to being one of the all-time greatest pitchers.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Gotta be Brook Jacoby.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Derek Jeter

Draft saved Draft deleted