1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most overrated baseball player of all time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by yourbuddy, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's soon to be Ryan Howard for a while, just like it was Abreu for a while after last year.
    Big Mac, Big Hurt, Pedro, Zito, Gagne, Darren Daulton, Nolan Ryan, Sammy Sosa, Giambi after he stopped looking the other way

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

We ask for one, you give us 11. Nice.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yes, I left that out. I should have considered it. But even with the 3,000 hits--over 21 seasons, mind you--I still stand by what I said. I actually admire him as a player; think he was a terrific player. I just think he gets considered by most people as having been a much greater player than he really was.

4. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

It's not Nolan Ryan.

He's got 5,714 strikeouts. Number 2 (Clemens) is just less than 1,200 behind him
    Seven no-hitters. Two in one season.
    12 one-hitters

That is NOT overrated.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

They're like potato chips. I couldn't pick just one.

6. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

So what are your reasons, Rob?

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hard to tell when Buck's just yanking our chains, but Pedro was NEVER overrated. He put up some of the best pitching numbers EVER in the most hitter-friendly era of all-time. Taking all things into account, 1999-2000 might very well be the greatest two-year run by a pitcher ever.

He's probably not a $17 million a year pitcher now (just ask the Red Sox), but you know what? He earned the right to get overpaid in his final years.

8. WHA73

WHA73 Guest

I'd start with Gary Carter

9. GoPadres

GoPadres Guest

Pedro's stats are very comparable to Sandy Koufax's, the primary difference being Koufax had a lot more complete games because he pitched in a different era.

Pedro is not overrated. Though the most overrated stat in baseball history is wins and losses for pitchers, he still has one of the best winning percentage in history.

Much like Koufax, he was absolutely dominant over a six to eight year period.

10. yourbuddy

yourbuddy New Member

Why Nolan Ryan is the most overrated pitcher of all-time:

- He was barely a .500 pitcher, winning only 32 more games than he lost over a 27-year career.

- Finished a season among the top 5 in ERA only five times.

- Never won a Cy Young award, and only finished in the top 3 three times.

- Led the league in walks eight times.

Although he got into the HOF with 99% (second highest percentage of all-time), Ryan isn't even close to being one of the game's greatest players.

11. Seabasket

Seabasket Active Member

Jeter is the most overrated of all time? A career .315 hitter with 4 rings? Get your heads out of your ass.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Jose Canseco...A .266 BA and just six 100+ RBI seasons in an offensive era. He hit just .184 (with a .398 slugging percentage) in the postseason.

Most overrated today:

Sean Casey
    Jack Wilson
    Andruw Jones
    Javier Vazquez
    Juan Pierre

Draft saved Draft deleted