1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most overrated actor ever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Jul 16, 2006.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Mr. Friendless ...let me add to the Pacino list his performance as Roy Cohn in "Angels in America."

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Bullshit.

He's a grinning monotone whose balls haven't dropped in everything he's in.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I don't buy DiCaprio as an actor. The truly great actors--DeNiro, for instance--make you believe they are the character. When I see DiCaprio, I see DiCaprio playing a character. He was utterly unbelievable in Gangs Of New York, unlike Daniel Day Lewis.

4. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Balwin also good in The Cooler

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I walked out of Gangs of New York. It wasn't a movie, it was a celluloid carnival, which wouldn't have been so bad if it weren't so offensive.

I deeply value some of the movies Tom Cruise has done, especially Spielberg's and Stone's, but he plays the same smug, gormless asshole he is in real life, and that does not meet or transcend talent.

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

You make a good point, shockey. Bull Durham is one of my favorite movies, and I did like Wyatt Earp, but sometimes I kinda step back while it plays and realize he can be one of the most wooden actors I've ever seen.

I really did like his performance in Field of Dreams, though.

7. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Dear C,

Pacino was very good in AinA but Ron Liebman was incredible on B-way in same.

But your pt is taken.

YHS, etc

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Defiitely.

If it ain't sports, he ruins the film.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I'm going to get hammered on this but here I go, I'll throw out Cuba Gooding Jr. for arguement's sake. While he isn't exactly a bad actor, he just hasn't completely blown me away in anything and for a while there it seemed like everything he touched people made an effort to hype for an oscar.

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Gary Cooper.
    The guy has all the emotional range of a Rodin sculpture.
    (And Pacino has done a lot of brilliant work in the last decade or so, including Donnie Brasco, Carlito's Way, Angels In America and Insomnia. The person who started this thread is off the mark).

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Absolute steaming, screaming piles of shit, all of them except for Brasco, again because of a strong co-star.

Draft saved Draft deleted