1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most overrated actor ever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Jul 16, 2006.

1. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

I don't know if this calls for a separate thread, but I believe Kathy Bates is the most overrated actress out there.

As has been said about many of the actors on this thread, every character is the same and is played the same way. Out of control lunatic.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I have never forgotten that Cruise is acting in anything I've seen him in. Not a good sign.

3. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

HEY! Kathy Bates was hot good in About Schmidt. ;D

But, I did like her in Primary Colors, Misery and Dolores Claibourne.

4. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

I didn't say she doesn't play the same part well. :D

But in Primary Colors and the cable movie The Late Show [where she played Leno's agent, Helen Kushnick], it is the same exact character and the same exact performance. And the crazy woman in Misery is just slightly crazier than the other two. Not a major stretch.

5. sportsed

sportsed Guest

Cruise is a terrible actor, whether he's running around and screaming the whole time (The Firm) or clapping awkwardly and saying "Woo" the whole time (Jerry McGuire).

Is Julia Roberts that great an actress? Is Kevin Spacey, Oscars notwithstanding?

6. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

KEanu Reeves (and many others listed here) can't be overrated. Nobody thinks he can act.

7. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

My vote would go to Ben Stiller, who plays the same (annoying) guy in every film. The only exception, and the only time I've ever enjoyed his performance, was in The Royal Tenenbaums.

Alec Baldwin was exceptional in Glengary Glen Ross and pretty solid in Hunt for Red October, but all his other good work has been on SNL, where he seems to be at his best.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Oh .. so you're saying I have to rethink my pick? :(

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

actually, he's an interesting case. wasn't bad early on, but then he became super-affected as he grew older. now, he's awful. but in first flicks, even thru "parenthood." he wasn't awful. :eek: :eek: :eek:

surprised no one's mentioned kevin costner. the guy's been in many of my favorite movies -- though he's no great actor. guess he's an example of a movie star who's not a great actor, much like redford. 8) 8)

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

She's a woman of a certain age and certain size who keeps getting offered certain kinds of parts because of the limited vision of film makers. I refere you to her stage work before you dismiss her.

11. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I'm amazed that Pacino makes this list--G-father, Serpico, Dog Day, Glengarry--all great stuff.

Redford is terrible.

I've never liked Tom Hanks in anything (I give him points for The DaVinci Code tho', not that he acted well but he seemed to recognize just how stupid the movie was).

Richard Gere is terrible.

I'm not a Warren Beatty fan (loved Bonnie, Clyde was just OK).

YHS, etc

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Hell just froze over.

I agree with Name Of The Week. Pacino's last great role was Michael Corolone in Godfather II. Since then, he's turned every role into a scene-whoring debacle.

Draft saved Draft deleted