1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most over-used, useless camera angle ever

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

The overhead shot from the Goodyear blimp during a basketball game. I can maybe understand for a football game to get a full appreciation of what's going on inside the stadium, but otherwise it is just an outside shot of a building from above. during the day, it is usually just a big grey block. Hardly worth the dollars of putting the blimp in the sky. Can you imagine being the guy in charge of controlling that camera?

2. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Is this a complaint just for the sake of having a complaint?

It sets the scene. It's used fairly infrequently. Is it really that big of a deal?

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'm with you, Beef. It brings nothing.

4. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Sets the scene of what? Streelights, a few thousand parked cars and the roof of giant slab of concrete that is just aching to be a piece of post-modern architecture but fails miserably? Is that the scene you're talking about?

I agree with beef. Blimp shots of a closed arena are quite worthless.

5. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I agree

6. It's a sponsor plug, is all it is ...

7. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

And there it is. It's sad and cynical but it's the almighty truth. Fuck you, money, and your useless pennies.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You effing blimp.

9. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

I liked it... it was kinda cool seeing Columbus and Nationwide Arena from that angle.

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

It's mildly interesting to see what the surroundings look like around the arena in that particular city. I know I've gone to Google Earth to see what it looks like around an arena before. Heck, there are Web sites that feature Google-map views of stadiums and arenas.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think the blimp shot was useful in showing just how ugly and unimaginative Rupp Arena is. And they showed it several times.

12. Slightly off topic:
    We have a photog who will angle his game shots to turn the photos onto its corners.
    I got a couple of basketball photos this winter that made the players appear to playing on the side of a hill.
    It was ridiculous.

Draft saved Draft deleted