1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most Over-rated baseball player today

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Jun 26, 2007.

?

Simple: which player is not as good right now as his reputation makes him out to be?

1. Barry Zito

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  2. J.D. Drew

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  3. Andruw Jones

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. Roger Clemens

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  5. Tim Hudson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Ichiro Suzuki

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  7. Bobby Abreu

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  8. Carlos Beltran

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  9. Alfonso Soriano

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  10. Curt Schilling

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  11. Dontelle Willis

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  12. Scott Rolen

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  13. Mark Buehrle

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  14. Eric Chavez

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  15. Ivan Rodriguez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Other

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I would disagree Doc in the fact about Eric Snow or Ollie being overrated. They were never rated. Suppose the Cubs threw all that money at Soriano in this past off-season and he went out and hit like .210/20/50. Would you consider him overrated?

2. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Which is exactly why I put this thread & its U-R counterpart up. Once again, I have to echo Buck's sentiments and that while Clemens is O-R at this stage of his career, you would have to be a complete idiot to think his ENTIRE career was O-R.

As far as the Jeter out-cry, I think he's rated fairly. Playing well for the Yankees should automatically DQ someone from being U-R, but I believe that those dreaded "intangibles" keep him from being O-R. OK, he doesn't have the greatest raw stats of other top SS, but damn, his will to win & knack for coming through in big spots has to count for something.

I'm also surprised Andruw Jones is as over-rated as people say he is. Despite playing the best center field since a young Ken Griffey, Jr. (or even further back), I have never viewed Andruw as a special offensive player. I think Jones has one of the least-productive 50-HR seasons of all-time, even worse than Brady Anderson's 1996 'roided-up campaign.

Anderson: 149 G, 579 AB, 117 R, 172 H, 37 2B, 5 3B, 50 HR, 110 RBI, 21-8 SB-CS, 76 BB, 106 K, .297 AVG, .396 OBP, .637 SLG, 1.033 OPS

Jones: 160 G, 586 AB, 95 R, 154 H, 24 2B, 3 3B, 51 HR, 128 RBI, 5-3 SB-CS, 64 BB, 112 K, .263 AVG, .347 OBP, .575 SLG, .922 OPS.

He's not a hitter, he's a masher and that is no secret to anyone that pays attention to baseball.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

For me, it's a three-way race among J.D. Drew, Andruw Jones and Carlos Beltran.

The fact that Scott Boras has baited idiot front offices into badly overpaying for Drew and Beltran is enraging enough. Worse, Jones is tanking ... and some idiot will probably still buy Boras' hollow sales pitch. I mean, wasn't it obvious that Boras thought Jones needed protecting when Jayson Stark called him overrated in his book?

4. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Looking back at the stats, Anderson actually had a pretty damn good year in '96, and that was primarily out of the leadoff spot, too. Those are numbers a #3 hitter puts up.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agree completely. He's the best pitcher of the last 20 years and it's not close...

Is he worth $17 million for an abbreviated season at age 45? Hell no, but he's definitely not overrated...

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'd be most enraged by Beltran. As awful a deal as Drew got, he's not expected to carry the Red Sox or serve as the lynchpin of the lineup (good thing!). And Jones has been awful this year, but a.) I give him some credit for telling Boras to buzz off and negotiating his last contract (he won't do that this winter) and b.) he's been an offensive force for a long time.

Beltran is softer than Charmin, spends more time passively-aggressively complaining about bumps and bruises than anyone in baseball and wants no part of the spotlight or a leadership role. But the Mets being the Mets threw $121 million at him. Good. A more deserving marriage I cannot conceive.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Bullshit. You have know special knowledge on the subject. Just a little too much love of yourself and your own opinions.

Not that I put Jeter on this list. I just hate self-important, arrogant arguments like that one. I voted for Andruw Jones. Even with the big power numbers, he has had some horrendous slumps the last two years. This year they have just lasted longer.

8. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

The title of the thread is most overrated today. It goes without saying that Clemens isn't overrated career-wise. Right now, he's a six-inning, half-a-season pitcher who makes an absurd amount of money, who some people actually thought might save the Yankees' season, and whose minor-league rehab starts were the lead story on SportsCenter. Right now, he is very, very overrated.

9. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Jeter is presented as God by the media. He has no option but to be overrated.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Barry Zito.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

ouch. that is hurtful. :( :'( :(

me and butch: we have vision, the rest of the world wears bifocals. ;D ;D ;D

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I still think the answer is Willis, but had I known how the voting would go, I'd have voted for Schilling. I'm stunned how many people think he's a HOFer.

Draft saved Draft deleted