1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most Over-rated baseball player today

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Jun 26, 2007.

?

Simple: which player is not as good right now as his reputation makes him out to be?

1. Barry Zito

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  2. J.D. Drew

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  3. Andruw Jones

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. Roger Clemens

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  5. Tim Hudson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Ichiro Suzuki

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  7. Bobby Abreu

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  8. Carlos Beltran

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  9. Alfonso Soriano

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  10. Curt Schilling

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  11. Dontelle Willis

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  12. Scott Rolen

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  13. Mark Buehrle

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  14. Eric Chavez

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  15. Ivan Rodriguez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Other

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. I'm a life-long Yankees fan, and Jeter is overrated to an extent. He's great, but he's not the ultimate cat-daddy that the northeast media makes him out to be.

Is he more overrated than Barry Zito or J.D. Drew? No way.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Jeter scored 118, drove in 97, stole 34 bases and hit .343 last year. He's hitting .342 this year.
    He has, what, four rings? The last three Gold Gloves at shortstop?

You can say what you want about his supporting cast. In that argument, how many did Jordan win without Pippin?

Whatever Jeter is rated, it's not too high. Sounds like BYH is bringing a personal hatred into the discussion.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Don't tell me you believe he deserved those GGs.

4. His last three fielding percentages were .975, .979 and .981.

Not too shabby.

5. statrat

statrat Member

The guys over at Fire Joe Morgan will love me for this one: David Eckstein

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And his last three range factors/9 were 4.46, 4.76 and 4.14 -- two of those were below the league average -- and his fielding percentages were just above the league average. ::)

Seriously ... I don't understand the Gold Glove love for Jeter. That baffles me. But he's not overrated by any means. He's a Yankee -- New York players are always going to get more attention. Always have, always will.

Doesn't mean he's overrated as a player -- because he's a damn good player. Some of the Captain Fantastic stuff I can do without, sure. But would I want him on my team? Absofuckinglutely, and with a side of fries.

It's not his fault George went on another 1980s spending spree and the Yankees suck again. That just makes Jeter another Mattingly instead of another Lazzeri.

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Zito and the D-Train. They've both had WHIPs of 1.4 or higher the past two years.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Jeter has 2,250 hits in 12+ seasons. Rose had 4,256 in 24 seasons. Do the math. Jeter is going be very high on the all-time hits list when all is said and done.

Add in his rings, ability to come through in the clutch. Sorry, the guy's not overrated. In fact, all the Yankee haters and Jeter haters harp on how bad is he is so much, he's probably starting to border on underrated.

9. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

How can Adam Dunn not be on this list?

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Look, I don't like Jeter, but I respect the hell out of him. If he keeps his game together, the dude will retired with close to 4,000 hits. Has Pete Rose, Ty Cobb and Hank Aaron been called overrated? I'm not saying he's at their level now, but when it's all said and done, he very well could be.

11. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Buck Weaver, the voice of baseball reason & sanity on SportsJournalists.com

12. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Soriano...no, Clemens...no Soriano...well, it's gotta be Clemens, just as an anti-ESPN vote. With the hype the big old boy has gotten, he can't HELP but be overrated presently.

Draft saved Draft deleted