1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most obnoxious college football fans ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by FishHack76, Dec 19, 2006.

?

Which school has the most obnoxious football fans?

1. Tennessee

5 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. Ohio State

12 vote(s)
    14.1%
  3. LSU

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  4. USC

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  5. Nebraska

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Georgia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Florida

10 vote(s)
    11.8%
  8. Florida State

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  9. Notre Dame

26 vote(s)
    30.6%
  10. Arkansas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Texas

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  12. Oklahoma

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  13. Michigan

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  14. Alabama

12 vote(s)
    14.1%
  15. Other

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Mizzou, is there anyplace you DON'T hate? Damn, buy a shanty in the middle of nowhere in North Saskatchewan and be the fuck by yourself. At least you'll enjoy the company.

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Generally speaking, I have a tendency to root for the underdog. I like workers better than bosses and the poor better than the rich.

That said, I think that "State U" fans (such as Miss. St. Bulldog fans and devotees of the Auburn Tigers/WarEagles/Plainsmen/whatever the hell they are) can be very bad, often worse than their entitled cousins. As annoying as snobs from UVa and Ole Miss can be, I'll take them over their perpetually overcompensating counterparts at Va Tech and Miss St. Here in the plains states, I've noticed how Kansas State fans have a totally obsessive hate-on for KU, while Kansas fans are like "Yeah, K-State is a big rival...maybe not as big a rival as Missouri, though." The poor Wildcats don't even get their hate returned measure for measure. It's like Texas Tech fans who, lacking a natural rival, try to play up the significance of their rivalries with UT and A&M...while the latter two rarely get all freaked out about the Tech game.

I can understand how the ag schools get pissed off about the foofier institutions who crank out lawyers and doctors. But if you want to stick up for your economic class, maybe the ballot box is the place for that...instead of shitting decahedrons because you think the local newspaper, like the rest of the world, is conspiring against you.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Some surprising omissions from the list...

Colorado fans are the Socs and the opposing team's fans are the Greasers. CU students are rich, drunk, and looking for an excuse.

And twenty years ago, neither the upper deck of the Orange Bowl nor the outer reaches of the LA Coliseum were a place to cheer, frankly, for either team.

Mind you, just about anything this side of the pond pales in comparison to the nuthouse Veterans Stadium was 10-15 years ago.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

[​IMG]

And yes, that's the exact same color as a ripe orange.

5. I'm the most obnoxious college football fan!

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think the reason Bama is omitted is because that would be far too obvious of a choice...

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Dan Jenkins once wrote -- pre-spurrier -- that Florida fans had the arrogance of Alabama and the tradition of Vanderbilt. A little success has only made them worse.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Dead-on assessment, but sub out "maybe" with "definitely" in that comment.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Hmm .. in my state the average starting salary for the land-grant graduates excedes those of the flagship liberal arts school by about 4-6 K a year, and has for quite some time. The old ag school keeps churning out engineering grads, while the liberal arts school has lots of sociology majors.

From my many travels, 90 percent of all fans at every school are OK, and the other 10 percent are assholes. Unfortunately, the assholes make a lot more noise than the nice people.

10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I've heard the same about Husker fans as well for being mannerable. I only been to two Iowa games and I lived here all of my life, but I swear on a book of football stats Iowa fans can get a little chippy with some of their league rivals like Minny and Wisky. Iowa State fans are nowhere close. They are nowhere to be seen if their team wins or loses.

Coming from a D-3 school, some of the rivalries between the small colleges are hands down loony and obnoxious.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

12. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Sorry ... I forgot they still played football at Alabama .. what with the lack of victories this year and everything ... Forgive me. It was late when I did this, and it is now fixed obviously.

Draft saved Draft deleted