1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most obnoxious college football fans ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by FishHack76, Dec 19, 2006.

?

Which school has the most obnoxious football fans?

1. Tennessee

5 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. Ohio State

12 vote(s)
    14.1%
  3. LSU

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  4. USC

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  5. Nebraska

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Georgia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Florida

10 vote(s)
    11.8%
  8. Florida State

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  9. Notre Dame

26 vote(s)
    30.6%
  10. Arkansas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Texas

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  12. Oklahoma

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  13. Michigan

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  14. Alabama

12 vote(s)
    14.1%
  15. Other

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  1. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

I love college football and have tried to hit as many stadiums/ games as possible. Current count is somewhere in the mid 70s, 50+ at the Division 1-A level (it's great havin' no kids....) . IMHO, it's a tie.

For sheer ugliness, the folks in Columbus have to take the cake. I've seen Buckeye fans refered to as "the closest thing to soccer hooligans." Seemed pretty close to me.

However....ND fans are in a class of their own. Never felt physically threatened (unless you count the hideous, narrow wood board they call a seat), but they are so overwhelmingly.....clueless. Least knowledegable (re: from any team other than ND, to the rules of the game) fans I've found, combined with the mentioned sense of entitlement.

Of course, I also find Central Michigan fans to be pretty obnoxious....but that comes from the perspective of a Western Michigan alum / fanboy / loooooser

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Just looked it up. It was Florida who threw a bag of urine on Phil Fulmer's wife at a game...

That makes them the leaders in my book...

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

The vast majority of die-hard major college football fans suck. The alums invest so much of their personal identity and self-worth into the whole sitaution that they get utterly psycho when something touches a raw nerve. Most states have a snobby major university whose fans are arrogant, delusional assholes...and a inferiority-complex-saddled State U whose fans are defensive, paranoid assholes.

I can enjoy watching college football, but as a culture of fandom, it sucks Woody Hayes' withered phallus in the foulest pit of Hades. Give me the shameless money-grubbing of pro sports over the hypocrisy of college sports (with its facade of All-American wholesomeness) any day.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is a trick question. The correct answer is, of course, "all".

5. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

The moron who made this list left off Alabama, which would be the runaway winners.

Florida is a close second.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Obnoxious fans buy papers, watch the shows and listen to talk radio.
    big outlets also missed the boat on the obnoxious fan when they pushed off the recruiting coverage to minor outlets since no one in their right mind would care about where some teenager was going to go to college. It was the big outlets who also thought that message boards would be the latest version of the CB radio.
    That being said, Notre Dame and all the SEC schools, but Vandy.
    But you don't know crazy until you spend some time with a Kentucky basketball fan.

7. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

I loved the comment about Michigan fans whining the past month. I couldn't disagree more. Most of us Blue Bloods know we had our shot in the national semifinal. Sure, I imagine there are one or two out there screaming 'We wuz robbed,' but for the most part, the majority of Wolverines took the high road along with Lloyd (who didn't lower himself to Urban 'Legend In His Own Mind' Meyer's wailing status).

Yes, Notre Dame fans can be tough. But I've never feared for my life in South Bend. Can't speak for the SEC, so I'll abstain from those schools.

Ohio State wins this poll, hands down. You fear walking High Street in Columbus for a reason.

Ohio State 42, Florida 17 ... and it won't be that close.

8. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

I'd tend to say Arkansas...but folks from Oklahoma have never bowled me over with their classiness.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The Knoxnews story I saw said beer was thrown on Vicky Fulmer and urine was thrown on the band. Yeah, I know, beer is simply urine in waiting, but still. As an aside, having sat in the section next to the Pride of the Southland, I can't say that sort of dousing is completely undeserved Florida's fans are pretty bad, and their colors suck, too.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I used to think that Florida fans were obnoxious until I worked in the state. They look like church greeters next to FSU fans.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Irish fans might be obnoxious, but at least they have the decency to leave the stadium midway through the fourth quarter while their team is getting its annual bowl-game beatdown.

12. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Can I change my vote? I accidently clicked on the Buckeyes, but ... I completely blacked out my Cocktail experience (um, you would too after 12 margaritas) ... Florida fans are definitely the most obnoxious!

Draft saved Draft deleted